WhatsApp uses FreeBSD

CurlyTheStooge said:
drhowarddrfine said:
The point is the same that others will use where some will say that FreeBSD is a little known product that no one uses, yet, here we are with companies like WhatsApp and Netflix using FreeBSD as their main technology, thus showing that such statements are false.

Whatsapp, as one of their main technologies.

Regards.
Doesn't matter. 95% of what my little company does is on FreeBSD. Linux and Windows is "one of my main technologies" but that shows you what I think of Linux and Windows. The point is, Whatsapp chose FreeBSD over Linux and Windows because they decided FreeBSD is better than them for that usage.

That one million donation is wonderful, I've been waiting for a company to do this - NetApp, Juniper, Apple and others should follow suit.

Ehm, tanked, you should take a look at the Donors page of the FreeBSD Foundation. You will find Netflix, NetAPP, Google, Juniper, and VMWare there. WhatsApp already donated 25-50K last year.

I believe that the donation was actually from CEO and co-founder Jan Koum. He put his reasons on a Facebook page. For those of us who don't have Facebook, someone on Reddit posted his message.
Last week, I donated one million dollars to the FreeBSD Foundation, which supports the open source operating system that has helped millions of programmers pursue their passions and bring their ideas to life.

I’m actually one of those people. I started using FreeBSD in the late 90s, when I didn’t have much money and was living in government housing. In a way, FreeBSD helped lift me out of poverty – one of the main reasons I got a job at Yahoo! is because they were using FreeBSD, and it was my operating system of choice. Years later, when Brian and I set out to build WhatsApp, we used FreeBSD to keep our servers running. We still do.

I’m announcing this donation to shine a light on the good work being done by the FreeBSD Foundation, with the hope that others will also help move this project forward. We’ll all benefit if FreeBSD can continue to give people the same opportunity it gave me – if it can lift more immigrant kids out of poverty, and help more startups build something successful, and even transformative.

That was only a matter of time; Facebook was going to migrate it to their platform sooner rather than later.

And look at the turmoil WhatsApp has been going through lately. I wonder if Facebook, et al, downtime yesterday had anything to do with that. It wasn't broke but someone tried to fix it.

Android has 85% of the mobile device market.
Red Hat has 33% of the server market share. (Windows 47% and the remaining belongs to "other")

Those are troubling numbers. Nobody wanted the East German Trabant to be the dominant vehicle produced, and essentially destroy the rest of the competition. And nobody should be pleased with the dominance of Linux.

There is a very simple rule governing all markets: the wider the audience the lower will be the quality of the product.

There is no escape of that rule. More targets means more compromises which means costs increasing exponentially if you try keep the quality.

E.g. all cited examples have 0% of the high-integrity safety-critical market (you can find them in workstations etc. but not in the core products), which is dominated buy THIS guy and custom written OSes. And that is quite obvious why.

Well you can find Linux in planes, in the entertainment system, but that is completely irrelevant in regards to safety-critical.

Back