What happened to vscode?

vscode is no longer available in port updates.
I did try to build it from source and it took all day until I got an error.
Will it be available or should I look for an alternative?
So this makes a last question, is there any alternative as good as vscode for a XFCE4 desktop that I can use instead?
vscode is really great, that's why it was ported to Linux and MacOS, that's something that M$ does well, office and development suites, in fact they should focus on that only and forget the Windows OS.

Thank you!

There is a discussion (lost the URL) explaining the situation. Basically there are ports that depend on different versions of Electron. Electron is so huge that the official build system cannot cope with having to build multiple of them. Since VSCode depends on Electron too it is not built at the moment. BTW Chromium is also not available in the latest packages last time I checked. I tried to build VSCode and Chromium from ports and got errors that I don't understand. Being too lazy to dig in and resolve the errors I just switched to Fedora where everything works.

VS-Code is broken due to huge electron.
[There are is not enough man-power to maintain the different versions of it].
But Chromium compiles fine in 4 hours on my PC.

There is a discussion (lost the URL) explaining the situation. Basically there are ports that depend on different versions of Electron. Electron is so huge that the official build system cannot cope with having to build multiple of them. Since VSCode depends on Electron too it is not built at the moment. BTW Chromium is also not available in the latest packages last time I checked. I tried to build VSCode and Chromium from ports and got errors that I don't understand. Being too lazy to dig in and resolve the errors I just switched to Fedora where everything works.
Fedora, yes I used that before with gnome but I don't like to deal with system upgrades and having to deal with environment getting messed up, even knowing it's more straight forward lately.
So I quit using gnome and quit using Fedora, too much bleeding edge and try the bugs first to get the fix later, and other release based distributions.
I switched to Manjaro as it's a rolling distribution, I still have a laptop with that, but it's been more than a year I've been using FreeBSD instead.
What bugs me most in FreeBSD is the DRM so I can't watch Netflix or Prime subscription movies and Bluetooth tools and desktop integration.
The boot process could be nicer too with a splash, maybe Plymouth could be adapted for FreeBSD?

Anyway, for now I just need vscode.

There is another (I consider fatal) problem on related (but not by itself) with electron*, not only that they are too huge.
Possibly not all, but they depends on non-default version of (at least) node and npm, which conflict with default ones.
This prevents anyone installing node and/or npm from building electron* on bare metal environment, thus prevents building vscode, too.
Not tried (as electron* is too time-consuming to build just to try) actually, but vscode would be able to built inside clean-room builders like poudriere.
And once built, as electron* is just a build depended by vscode, pkg of vscode is sanely installed even if default node/npm are installed.

VS-Code is broken due to huge electron.
[There are is not enough man-power to maintain the different versions of it].
That's plain wrong. All required versions are in the ports tree, and they're all fine. Didn't you read the discussion in PR 270565 at least once? I linked it several times. I also explained it right here: Electron-ports are blacklisted from the package builds because they exhaust resources on the official builders.

That's plain wrong. All required versions are in the ports tree, and they're all fine. Didn't you read the discussion in PR 270565 at least once? I linked it several times. I also explained it right here: Electron-ports are blacklisted from the package builds because they exhaust resources on the official builders.
On my PC electron-quarterly compiles fine but not VS-Code. 32MB of ram, using 6 builders.

Neither nor, but that's very likely completely irrelevant. Many people report no issues whatsoever with the port, and the reason for packages missing is (once again) electron being blacklisted on the builders.

Did you ever look at your build logs?

I just tried today to recompile vscode. But it want's me first to update 1500 quarterly ports, listing dependency missing. So it might take a while since i'm back with a log.
[ I thought quarterly was "stable"]

A while ago at ${WORK} code was written in Ada. Compiling it was overnight batch jobs on a Vax. Sounds like electron/vscode is a similar model.

Poudriere took 4h and 15min to compile devel/electron28 in my system (16jobs and 48GB RAM). If you really want this, use poudriere to compile it.
It's been long time since I used poudriere to build ports. Where can I find some instructions? And what ports tree should I use? I always prefer latest to be as fresh as possible

Fedora, yes I used that before with gnome but I don't like to deal with system upgrades and having to deal with environment getting messed up, even knowing it's more straight forward lately.
So I quit using gnome and quit using Fedora, too much bleeding edge and try the bugs first to get the fix later, and other release based distributions.
I switched to Manjaro as it's a rolling distribution, I still have a laptop with that, but it's been more than a year I've been using FreeBSD instead.
What bugs me most in FreeBSD is the DRM so I can't watch Netflix or Prime subscription movies and Bluetooth tools and desktop integration.
The boot process could be nicer too with a splash, maybe Plymouth could be adapted for FreeBSD?

Anyway, for now I just need vscode.
For DRM, foreign-cdm is working pretty well.

Back