What does not work very good on FreeBSD

Advice please (3): Same issue. Does the standard FreeBSD 13 install include drivers that will activate a standard Ethernet to USB adaptor so a connection can be made during installation? Are there makes to be avoided? Forgive my ignorance - it's my first time down this road.
Thanks.

Zagzigger please stop hijacking this thread. If you have specific questions, please open specific topics. This topic is clearly about what does not work very well while you're asking for what does work very well.

there is net/wifibox as a very good and reliable workaround. it will work in ac mode.
AC mode is definitely NOT a problem on FreeBSD. Intel-branded AC cards work very well on FreeBSD. The drivers for wifi cards are very limited - meaning, very few brands are even supported on FreeBSD. But for the brands that are in fact supported by drivers available for FreeBSD (like Intel), AC works fine.

Having said that, wifi is still a pain to set up - as I explained earlier in this thread.

AC mode is definitely NOT a problem on FreeBSD. Intel-branded AC cards work very well on FreeBSD. The drivers for wifi cards are very limited - meaning, very few brands are even supported on FreeBSD. But for the brands that are in fact supported by drivers available for FreeBSD (like Intel), AC works fine.

Having said that, wifi is still a pain to set up - as I explained earlier in this thread.
What are you doing differently? According to the MAN page for iwlwifi:

While iwlwifi supports all 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax the compatibility code
currently only supports 802.11 a/b/g modes. Support for 802.11 n/ac is
to come. 802.11ax and 6Ghz support are planned.

This tells me that 802.11ac is not working.

What are you doing differently? According to the MAN page for iwlwifi:

This tells me that 802.11ac is not working.
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 720S-13ARR... and swapped out the wireless card from original Realtek 8288 to Intel 8265 (bought on Amazon), which is an 802.11ac card... and it works, no extra drivers required.

Yeah, I tried stuffing Firefox into a jail, then tried to tell the jail to only use 4 GB of RAM - that was a spectacular failure, limits(8) was not working as documented. So yeah, there's that, too.
I limited the RAM usage of my log in account, which Firefox runs under with rctl(8), as shown in Thread limiting-and-dedicating-memory-cpu-usage.89545. My computer with Firefox running hasn't froze up my whole computer anymore. Firefox has crashed, but it didn't bring the whole system down with it. Now my computer runs a lot better.

It may seem excessive to limit RAM for the main account login account to limit Firefox, but it doesn't need to have the ability to tie up all of RAM anyway.

Firefox and the link to it also belong to the wheel group, though it runs under the login user. Could limit the wheel account too. In ps and top, Firefox runs under the login group.

I limited the RAM usage of my log in account, which Firefox runs under with rctl(8). Thread limiting-and-dedicating-memory-cpu-usage.89545. My computer with Firefox hasn't froze up my whole computer anymore. Firefox has crashed, but it didn't bring the whole system down with it. Now my computer runs a lot better.

It may seem excessive to limit RAM for the main account to limit Firefox, but the main user account doesn't need to have the ability to tie up all of RAM anyway.
Limiting RAM for the entire login account just for Firefox seems a bit impractical for me... what if I want to run Konsole or Blender? will I have to kill the Firefox process completely? Sometimes I want to talk on Discord while doing something else - and Discord works best on Firefox, which competes with other apps for RAM... :rolleyes:

Limiting RAM for the entire login account just for Firefox seems a bit impractical for me... what if I want to run Konsole or Blender? will I have to kill the Firefox process completely? Sometimes I want to talk on Discord while doing something else - and Discord works best on Firefox, which competes with other apps for RAM... :rolleyes:
Limits in login.conf should be per-process. So even with a firefox consuming 4gigs, you should still be able to run discord and blender, each using another 4 gigs.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 720S-13ARR... and swapped out the wireless card from original Realtek 8288 to Intel 8265 (bought on Amazon), which is an 802.11ac card... and it works, no extra drivers required.
Do you get AC connectivity though? I believe that is the same NIC in my laptop, and it works without extra configuration, just at 802.11g mode/54mbps

Do you get AC connectivity though? I believe that is the same NIC in my laptop, and it works without extra configuration, just at 802.11g mode/54mbps
How do you check that it's AC connectivity (as opposed to N/G/C/B? For me, the biggest bottleneck was the speed allowed by the AP...

The login user still has to be confined, and it allows the kernel to not be interrupted, and it prevents nasty freeze ups. Kernel also needs dedicated RAM, though limiting the login user, which is the main user of RAM, helps with that. I allow the main user everything, except half a gigabyte of available RAM, meant for the kernel and everything else. As long as potential or habitual runaway processes are kept out of enough of available RAM. It does help with running multiple processes, because then, the kernel and base can function with those programs, without the potential to get locked down badly by any of them.

My computer stops having those problems it had, since doing that. Using a jail is excessive for the purpose, but if it has to be done, then do it.

Limits in login.conf should be per-process.
If this or something else more specific works.

I wondered about changing the user group of the Firefox process. It would be reset every time, Firefox is installed. The one that's changed dynamically are files under /dev/ through device configuration files in /etc/. The plausible way I see, is having a patch sent to the maintainer to give Firefox and Thunderbird their own group.

What I've done works enough for me, and allows my computer to run more smoothly and not have ugly unrecoverable crashes, because problematic processes are kept from interrupting enough of my base operating system and Xorg. More ways of specifically limiting RAM to programs is still beneficial.

There are two sources :
or
cfr
That doesn't work either. Can't find npm-node14 or node14 when running the first script in the install process. Have I got to obtain these packages manually?

Suspend, Hibernation, Resume
So when I wrote this I was on 13.2-Release (last patch level at the time). In the mean time I changed from Release to Stable. I just realized that hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3 stopped working and now I'm using S5 in the mean time. It is good enough for now.

PS.: I would like to add here another thing that it is very hard to make it work: virtualization and containernization (bhyve and jails) with a wifi setup on the host.

Last edited:
That's because of proprietary DRM (widevine) for which we don't get FreeBSD support/binaries.
There are ways to work around it by running a web browser through Linuxulator: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/linuxulator-how-to-install-brave-linux-app-on-freebsd-13-0.78879/

vermaden also has us covered: https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2021...art-27-configuration-netflix-signal-telegram/

Thanks for the information! Nice work around. It would nice if Netflix could be run natively in a browser. Perhaps one day.

Wireless interfaces
No matter which wifi hardware I use, they fail, giving a millennia of confusing errors/messages.

I do not understand why they all seem to work fine if I add in /etc/rc.conf the following:

Code:
netwait_enable="YES"
netwait_timeout="120"

And I do not understand why this apparently is not mentioned anywhere.
Actually, setting netwait_timeout only seems to be sufficient.
I found this accidentally, by trying to fix an ntp timeout. Which fixed my wifi problems also...

I've purchased a ton of wifi adapters for different laptops I have. Some laptops and systems have support on install and some don't. But I'm prepared with about 12 extras for when I need them.

How do you check that it's AC connectivity (as opposed to N/G/C/B? For me, the biggest bottleneck was the speed allowed by the AP...
Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I wanted to verify with my laptop, which I do not use very often. A simple ifconfig will show, like this:
ifconfigwifi.png

This is connected to my home Wi-Fi, which is an 802.11ac router. As you can see, my FreeBSD laptop is only connecting at 802.11g, even though it is an Intel 8260 card

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I wanted to verify with my laptop, which I do not use very often. A simple ifconfig will show, like this:
View attachment 16757

This is connected to my home Wi-Fi, which is an 802.11ac router. As you can see, my FreeBSD laptop is only connecting at 802.11g, even though it is an Intel 8260 card
Thanks, I'll check it out on my own hardware when I have a chance...

In the meantime, I have to wonder if that kind of thing makes a difference, and under what circumstances. In a home environment, having a G-grade connection is probably not very offensive - theoretical max throughput is 54 MBit/sec for a G connection. Even if download speeds are realistically half to a third of that, ISP-provided speeds (which you pay for) are the limiting factor.

Suspend, Hibernation, Resume
Second to that.
I have no idea what is what - but my laptop with ufs works fine when i close lid ( suspend i think ) but problem with wifi once i open my lid .. have to kill process and restart and its 50-50 as its hangs up have to do hard reset.

Back