Solved What are the correct entries for gitup initial cloning?

I have half the move from svn to git working (src). It just worked, with a slight tweak of the release version number. Ports however don't "just work". Is there a boilerplate entry for gitup.conf for the current ports' state?
thx

I think the release 13 ports were from svn since the ports directory does not have ./git control files. So if you wish to fix a port bug, which version should it be applied to .. git or svn?

I have half the move from svn to git working (src). It just worked, with a slight tweak of the release version number. Ports however don't "just work". Is there a boilerplate entry for gitup.conf for the current ports' state?
thx
What kinds of problems are you encountering?

The hashes for the ports repository were updated about a month ago which can cause problems for net/gitup (for example, if you look at an old commit 24a6f51c6e4e67f74983ef79ebac6f39c64f5629 there's now a message at the top of the page "This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository, and may belong to a fork outside of the repository").

Does the problem persist with subsequent pulls if you move/remove your /usr/ports tree and /var/db/gitup/ports and re-run gitup ports to get a fresh clone?

What kinds of problems are you encountering?

The hashes for the ports repository were updated about a month ago which can cause problems for net/gitup (for example, if you look at an old commit 24a6f51c6e4e67f74983ef79ebac6f39c64f5629 there's now a message at the top of the page "This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository, and may belong to a fork outside of the repository").

Does the problem persist with subsequent pulls if you move/remove your /usr/ports tree and /var/db/gitup/ports and re-run gitup ports to get a fresh clone?
I have used svn for a long time but thought I'd get with the program so I installed gitup. It mentions the change needed in gitup.conf, where 11.4 needs to be changed to whatever release you're after. Easy peasy and works out of the gate.
Code:
        "release" : {
"repository" : "/src.git",
"branch"     : "releng/12.2",
"target"     : "/usr/src",
"ignores"    : [
"sys/amd64/conf",
"sys/arm64/conf",
"sys/i386/conf",
"sys/pc98/conf",
"sys/powerpc/conf",
The code block for ports is this:
Code:
    "ports" : {
        "host"       : "github.com",
        "repository" : "/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git",
        "branch"     : "master",
        "target"     : "/usr/ports",
        "ignores"    : [
            "distfiles",
            "packages",
        ],
    },
If I run gitup ports, as is, I get this. gitup -c ports gives the same error.
Code:
# Host: github.com
# Port: 443
# Repository: /freebsd/freebsd-ports.git
# Target: /usr/ports
gitup: get_commit_details: refs/heads/master doesn't exist in /freebsd/freebsd-ports.git: Invalid argument
Something needs to be changed in /usr/local/etc/gitup.conf for it to find the ports. Checked the Handbook and there's six or seven URLs listed, none of which look obvious to me. /usr/ports is empty, and there's nothing in /var/db/gitup except the file "release" with 105k+ lines.

thx

The latest version of gitup seems to have it set up correctly. You may have to copy the latest gitup.conf sample to your gitup.conf. The ports section should read
Code:
"ports" : {
                "repository_path"  : "/ports.git",
                "branch"           : "main",
                "target_directory" : "/usr/ports",

The rest can be left alone. The changes were that the old one had master instead of main and I think it had github.com/ports or similar instead of /ports.git.
(The part underneath /usr/ports can be left alone).
It still doesn't seem to build a ports INDEX. Depending upon your use of the INDEX file, changing directory into /usr/ports and running make fetchindex may suit your needs. (In my case, I only use the INDEX file when using psearch, a little program to search for ports, and the file produced by fetchindex works for me).

Back