Virtual Keyboard not working on login screen

Not sure if this belongs here but I am looking for a working virtual keyboard for the login (running KDE, SDDM, Xorg on 13.1-RELEASE-p5).

The reason is that I managed to get FreeBSD running with a touchscreen and consequently want to operate the system via a virtual keyboard. I thought that qt5-virtualkeyboard would run straight out of the box, however, when I click on the "virtual keyboard" during login, the opening dialog stays blank/black. I also already tried to reinstall it via port without any succes.

I already figured out that xvkbd is in the ports and works great so far when being logged in, but could I also use it for the login?
Has anybody experienced a similar behavior or knows how to tackle that issue?

Try https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Enable_virtual_keyboard

For location of the configuration file on FreeBSD see the manual below. Ideal would be the highlighted location.
Code:
2.9 Enable virtual keyboard

Install qt5-virtualkeyboard.

Create the following file:

/etc/sddm.conf.d/virtualkbd.conf

[General]
InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard

SDDM now displays a button in lower-left corner of login screen to open the virtual keyboard.

sddm.conf(5)
Rich (BB code):
SYNOPSIS
       Configuration loads all files in    the configuration directories followed
       by  the    configuration  file  in    the order listed below with the    latter
       having highest precedence. Changes should be made to the    local configu-
       rations.

/usr/local/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d
          System configuration directory

/usr/local/etc/sddm.conf.d
          Local configuration directory

/usr/local/etc/sddm.conf
          Local configuration file for compatibility

I guess there's very little testing in that area, it's the first time I read about someone using FreeBSD on a device without a hardware keyboard 😉

So that said, a quick web search reveals /usr/local/etc/sddm.conf needs InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard in the General section, I assume you did add that?

Thanks a lot for the fast replies, T-Daemon and zirias@. It is indeed a not very common application, but I thought the issue may as well exist on devices having a hardware keyboard - plus, I like to play around ;)

I did exactly what you recommended, when setting everything up and encountered the black/blanc screen for the first time - with no success unfortunately. Also
sddm --example-config
should show me that the option qtvirtualkeyboard is set asd standard, or am I wrong?

I'm running out of ideas, but as a last try I meanwhile added the user sddm to the video group, but unfortunately it doesn't help.

Back