user password not recognized anymore

Hi - I have a very strange issue. On my lpatop, I cannot "login" anymore using my standard user and the password as authentication, I believe it is related to the upgrade from 11 to 12.0-RELEASE-p3, but I am unsure. I did not notice immediately since, using a laptop, I have fingerprint authentication and that one still works.
I cannot ssh or telnet to the computer, nor login - if I disable fingerprint authentication.

At first, I thought to have forgotten the password - but I changed it from root using [FONT=courier new]passwd xxx[/FONT].
Root user still works with password but my own user not. I tried changing the password several times, no avail

If I authenticate with fingerprint and then run [FONT=courier new]passwd[/FONT], the password (even the one changed through the root account to the said user) is not accepted.

What could be going wrong?

For some reason on one of my machines the password database got out of sync during 12.0 upgrade. I think I made the mistake, mentioned by SirDice.
In my case what helped is using the command vipw to make the password db consistent again. Your user account should be visible there. If not, adduser should allow you to add it again and set the password.
Backup your /etc before making the changes and make sure the UID and GID are the same.

I did uprade with freebsd-update not through a source upgrade.
My user is still there, as said, I can login using fingerprint authentication... vipw shows my account. Instead of an *, there is a long encoded password.

If I run chpass my full name shows up as well as default shell, so I suppose that part is sane. Could the shadow password database be out of sync somehow? Or perhaps the issue is of different nature - I hoped changing the password would align things.

There have been a few people (of which I am one) who had an issue when upgrading from 11.2 to 12.0.
Run a pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd and see if it's fixed. It most likely will be.

malavon : thank you, that command fixed it.
A dangerous happening during the upgrade! Luckily fingerprinting access worked, otherwise I would have been locked out.

Back