1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading devel/pkgconfig to devel/pkgconf

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by foghorn, Jul 27, 2012.

1. foghorn

foghorn New Member

Today I updated my system with portsnap fetch update; portmaster -a, but it ran into an error:
    Code:
    pkgconf-0.8.3 conflicts with installed package(s):
          pkg-config-0.25_1
          They install files into the same place.
          Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).

pkg_delete(1) didn't work due to a mass of dependencies, so I went to google and came up with this: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg43002.html
    It tels me to "see UPDATING for instructions". I have no idea where to find this.

So I googled some more and came accross something telling me to run portmaster -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf
    Which outputs:
    Code:
    ===>>> The first argument to -o must be a directory in /usr/ports

Indeed, the devel/pkg-config directory does not exist any more, presumably from updating my ports tree earlier. The pkgconf folder is there though, as expected.

How do I go from here?

2. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Read /usr/ports/UPDATING, which should be the first you do after updating the ports tree.

3. gkontos

gkontos Member

From /usr/ports/UPDATING:

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me either. The solution was to delete the package and reinstall it:

# pkg_delete -f pkg-config
    # cd /usr/ports/devel/pkgconf && make install clean

4. kpa

kpa Member

If nothing else works you can forcefully uninstall pkg-config, almost none of the ports that are depending on it now actually need it to work. There is ongoing work to strip those unnecessary run time dependencies to pkg-config/pkgconf

5. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've spoken to a few people on IRC and it seems the first version of UPDATING had a slight error. It said to do:
    # portmaster -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf

But this is the wrong way around. It should be:
    # portmaster -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config

The UPDATING file has been updated but you may still have the 'older' version with the error.

6. foghorn

foghorn New Member

thanks everyone for the info, i think this should fix it.

7. ljboiler

ljboiler Member

Using portupgrade, the upgrade will not work regardless of the order of the port names:
    # portupgrade -v -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config -> "None has been installed or upgraded"
    # portupgrade -v -o devel/pkg-config devel/pkgconf -> "Port directory not found: devel/pkg-config"

Has anyone actually done the forced deinstall of old / install of new package?

8. kpa

kpa Member

ports-mgmt/portmaster wants a package name as the second argument if there's no port directory anymore. I bet it's the same with ports-mgmt/portupgrade

# portupgrade -v -o devel/pkgconf pkg-config

By forced deinstall I meant something like:

# pkg_delete -fx pkg-config
    # portmaster --check-depends

The second command would then ask if the dependencies to non existing pkg-config should be kept, you would answer no.

9. gkontos

gkontos Member

Read post#3