Trying to set up a Samba file server.

Hi

I'm quite new to FreeBSD, I've got box that I'm trying to set up as a dedicated file storage server for my house. The clients are all Windows 7.

I've installed Samba35 from ports and I've been trying for the last few days to connect from a Win 7 machine. I've read up on every site imaginable and currently I'm running through the list on http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch12_:_Samba_Security_and_Troubleshooting.

Everything works up until point 6 when I have to run "net view \\samba-server" from the client, I get:
Code:
PS C:\Users\Rael> net view \\SAMBA_SERVER
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Can anyone please give me a reason as to why it fails?

Thanks

the answer is right there in front of you: permissions. Samba ain't good ol' Windows P2P-style networking where you can just turn it on and share things... to use Samba - you will need to create shares on the server and then grant access to users / groups or allow anonymous [on a home network -- you'd be ok with this] access.

If your box is publicly accessible -- you dont want to just allow everyone wholesale access -- you'll want to lock ti down a bit more...

My initial guess: you need to go into your Samba configuration and set it up to allow users on your local network access...

If you are new to Samba and windows/Unix networking -- you might want to install and run "SWAT" -- a web based tool to manage your Samba shares...

Trying to set up a Samba file server

Hello TooLSHeD,

Let me recomment this book to you, it will help you install samba in your FreeBSD box in minutes.

Building a Server with FreeBSD 7
By: Bryan J. Hong

Cheers!

Hi

I pretty much solved the problem right after posting the message, I created a Samba user with smbpasswd -a and also set encrypt passwords to yes.

Every site? Did you read the official documentation?
Yup, went through that too.

If your box is publicly accessible -- you dont want to just allow everyone wholesale access -- you'll want to lock ti down a bit more...
I've set the allowable hosts in the conf file to only the few machines in our network. Is that enough?

Thanks

Easy way for you to manage Samba

FYI: you might want to look at installing "SWAT" -- it's a web-based interface to manage your Samba shares / Unix --:> Windows networking solution... in fact: SWAT stands for "Samba Web Administration Tool"

if you installed Samba from ports: you can simply rebuild Samba without killing your current installation by:

Code:
cd /usr/ports/net/samba35
make rmconfig
make config

Pay close attention to the menu when you make config -- Make sure you check the option to install SWAT... Then you can re-install Samba 3.5:

[CMD=""]make install -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER"[/CMD]

;)

codeWarrior said:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/net/samba35
make rmconfig
make config

rmconfig is not necessary. It will reset all options to default, wiping out any changes the user had made previously.

Pay close attention to the menu when you make config -- Make sure you check the option to install SWAT... Then you can re-install Samba 3.5:

[CMD=""]make install -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER"[/CMD]

make reinstall is less typing. But I'd suggest backing up the config files from /usr/local/etc/ and using
# make deinstall install

Hi

Thanks for all the help, I've got SWAT up and running already. Everything seems to be working well, but after I set up 3 drives as a raidz array, things are copying painfully slow. I'm just playing around with the zfs tuning.

Thanks

Back