Tomcat / shell scripts user rights

Hello,

I "need" a webserver that will do some "low-level" system stuff, like mounting/dismounting/access zfs data/check or alter the status of some devices/... ....

While some of this can be done via trigger-files and scripts others should access "real-time" data some shell scripts deliver....

As scripts don`t support suid I see only one other way to do this with FreeBSD than making a programm that is started via rc.conf offering an interface e.g. on a TCP Port the tomcat servlets communicate with....

Or ist there any other way to access "realtime" system data by a tomcat servlet running on a FreeBSD system?

I've solved similar problems (web services needing elevated privileges) by configuring sudo to allow the web service (user "www") to execute a carefully crafted shell script without a password.

The web service calls the shell script with sudo and a few specific command line arguments. The script itself executes with elevated privileges thanks to sudo, and returns the requested data back to the web service.

Ah yes forgot about sudo though used it in Linux too :D though I implemented the things I needed as mutiple small tcp-services... but thanks for the answer will surely be very usefull me sooner or later - probably sooner :D

Back