The support of AR8161/8165 chipset

And? There is nothing about my card.

Code:
class=0x20000 card=0x200f1043 chip=0x10911969 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00

vendor Atheros Communications
class network
subclass ethernet

Unfortunately, there is no driver support in FreeBSD for your AR8161 NIC. That means you have to look for alternatives or scrap the idea of running FreeBSD on the laptop. The only thing I can suggest as an alternative is a USB NIC. Just make sure the chipset is supported by FreeBSD before you buy.

time1 said:
Hm, so it will not be supported?!
As I have already stated, last I saw it will probably be supported eventually, but there is no current timetable for it, although that info was almost a year old and I have seen nothing recent on the issue. I suggested 2 weeks ago that you ask your question on the freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org mailing list if you want an update as to its status. Did you? That is the best place to ask. The developers who build drivers for FreeBSD tend not to frequent these forums. They usually stick to the mailing lists.

Thought you would be interested in this question asked on the freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org mailing list:
Code:
Hi all. I really need driver for AR8161/8165 chipset

class=0x20000 card=0x200f1043 chip=0x10911969 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
vendor Atheros Communications
class network
subclass ethernet

for my new notebook asus pu500ca

Please say will be the support of this chipset? Asking very much!!!
I'll let you know what the response it.

IvanATUAdm said:
Does anybody know a fast recipe how to port driver from Linux? (I know about normal way)
I'm not a developer but I don't think there's a "fast recipe", the systems are quite different. Also keep in mind we can't accept GPL code in the kernel.

SirDice said:
IvanATUAdm said:
Does anybody know a fast recipe how to port driver from Linux? (I know about normal way)
I'm not a developer but I don't think there's a "fast recipe", the systems are quite different. Also keep in mind we can't accept GPL code in the kernel.

Not just different but completely from different planet alltogether. All the porting efforts of Linux drivers to FreeBSD have been more like taking the Linux driver completely apart and try to see what it does and then create the FreeBSD driver from scratch using the information gathered from the Linux driver. There really is no fast recipe for such job because both systems have very different origins and there is almost nothing in common on the kernel level between the two.

Does anyone have a .SYS and .INF for Atheros AR8161 on Win XP 64 bit? I'm trying to follow the manual using ndisgen(8) but I can't actually get hold of the INF and SYS files. Actually I've got these:
Code:
145K Feb 23 21:10 l1c51x64.cat
495K Feb 23 21:10 l1c51x64.inf
112K Feb 23 21:10 l1c51x64.sys
But I don't think they've even got sensible content for ndisgen(8) to parse:
Code:
ndiscvt: line 4294:  : syntax error CONVERSION FAILED
Apparently wrong encoding ("Unicode") as well although that may have been converted.

Back