The great Gordon Ramsay wannabe thread

The off-topic section didn't seem to have a cookery thread yet, so I created this one. Although anyone can use this thread for just about anything concerning food, I'd like to start with a question:

When I cook properly (as opposed to microwaving or deep-frying something) I tend to make rich, hearty dishes: chili (con carne), goulash, chicken curry, chicken palava, rich and spicy tomato soup, that sort of thing. However, I'm inclined to say that those are typical winter dishes. And since the weather is starting to improve here in the Netherlands, I could use some suggestions and/or recipes for lighter meals that are more appropriate for the summer.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Lentils are great, still packing the punch, but much lighter to digest. And I'm talking about the dry kind, no pots or cans. They don't take long to cook, and with some bell peppers, garlic, onions, some wok sauce .. very nice, and ready quite quickly. Also suitable for soup. Other than that, I always have bell peppers, onions, garlic, and other 'stir-fryable' stuff around. You can always make a quick meal of that, whatever you add to it, and it goes with rice, pasta, potato, or just sec.

Further: Salads: just grab 100 grams of cut/assorted lettuce per person from the aisle, throw in a can of tuna, a couple of small tomatoes, an onion, a bit of vinegar and vinegar, pepper, and you're done. If it's too light, add some chicken or a couple of boiled eggs. // Fried potatoes (in a bit of olive oil only -- raw, do not cook them first, just slice, wash, and dry!), a 'quick veggie' (haricots verts, bimi, broccoli, snaps ('peultjes') -- all cooked or stir-fried very shortly), and some chicken filet or veggie filet/burger (those have come a long way, especially the selection at a larger AH (Dutch supermarket chain) is quite OK). Very simple, all done in 15 minutes or so. // Wraps: same as above, the basic ingredients are the same, you only add some refried beans (just get black or kidney beans in a can, and boil them down to a puree) and/or guacamole, heat up the wrapper in a microwave, and pile your hot food in it, some spicy sauce over it, wrap up in a roll or a burrito (folded in), and munch.

As you can tell, I'm somewhat of a flexitarian. I do tend to stay away from all meat, except some chicken now and then. I've lost my taste for it for the most part. I may have some pork from a Surinamese toko now and again, but that's about it.

I should give a short shout out to my wife of eight months, Gail, who has really got me back into an interest for food. I used to be quite 'easy' on the supper/dinner front. Not necessarily unhealthy, but just a tad too easy. I have lost 8 kilos since she joined me in The Netherlands in October. So, yeah. Thanks, baby.

I don't cook much, if at all. But I do like to make nasi. Spicy food seems to work well when it's hot. You feel a lot cooler afterwards :e

Three Dutchmen discussing cooking. We must be emancipated.

DutchDaemon said:

Or the rest is sitting at their terminals, shivering, waiting for the next culinary abomination. Oh wait, that was english cooking. ;)

Back to serious: usually I have little time for cooking. This is sad because I quite like it, but I prefer to make complete meals and do not like to be rushed with this.

One of my favorites, if it has to be fast, is cheese pancakes. You cut cheese into small dice, add it with some chive, garlic, peppers and/or diced onions to the pancake dough. bake pancakes about a cm thick. Serve with some chili sauce, fried mushrooms in cream and green salad. Possibly some soup before and dessert to follow make for a good meal.

These pancakes are also good when cold or reheated in a microwave, so good as a lunch@work.

I do cook myself but for a special reason. I'm heavily allergetic to dairy products and I need to know what I'm putting into my mouth. Most of the ready to eat microwave garbage contains dairy products in one form or another.

DutchDaemon said:
Lentils are great, still packing the punch, but much lighter to digest. And I'm talking about the dry kind, no pots or cans. They don't take long to cook, and with some bell peppers, garlic, onions, some wok sauce .. very nice, and ready quite quickly. Also suitable for soup.
Lentils... That seriously always reminds me of "The Young Ones" :e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwXMt60tfXM (contains strong language!)

kpa said:
Most of the ready to eat microwave garbage

You could have stopped right there for the rest of us.

I own some fast food restaurants so I can microwave and do "rip open package cooking" better than all of you. :)

At home, I pretend to be a gourmet cook but I'm just good at following the recipes. I bake my own bread and buy everything from farmer's markets and vegetable/fruit stands but, if other things come up to knock me off my routine, I'll get out of the habit for months at a time. What's really sad is I forget my techniques and methods and feel like I'm starting to learn all over again.

Boneless chicken breast, cut into strips, add salt pepper, garlic powder.. brown them in a frying pan, no oil, just cook them as is.

Save the juices, remove the chicken from the pan (temporarily), pour in 2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions (or onion powder) bay leaf, a single clove of garlic (garlic powder can be substituted.) wide egg noodles (Enough to stay covered in the liquids) bring to a slow boil, add the chicken back in, cover, and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or so.

A nice variation is to add chopped broccoli.

Another nice variation is, instead of adding wide egg noodles, serve over rice.

I actually made something quite similar to this, with other items (boiled cabbage, mac n cheese) the day I proposed to my now wife, about 11 years ago.. :)

Then, I taught her how to do it, and she's been improving upon my old throw-together ever since. LOL

break19 said:
boneless chicken breast, cut into strips, add salt pepper, garlic powder.. brown them in a frying pan, no oil, just cook them as is.

save the juices, remove the chicken from the pan (temporarily), pour in 2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions (or onion powder) bay leaf, a single clove of garlic (garlic powder can be substituted.) wide egg noodles (Enough to stay covered in the liquids) bring to a slow boil, add the chicken back in, cover, and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or so.

A nice variation is to add chopped broccoli..

Another nice variation is, instead of adding wide egg noodles, serve over rice.

We do something similar using pork chops instead of chicken, always served over rice, sometimes with kernel corn and/or peas (my plate is jumbled mess of everything mixed together; the wife's plate has everything separated into it's own area). :)

Very simple, very quick, but will fill you right up without being horribly unhealthy like most quick/simple (aka processed) meals.

Even our two year-olds (daughter and niece) will eat it and ask for seconds.

Never thought to try it with chicken, though.

The perfect steak (IMO, of course):
  1. lightly spread some olive oil over each side
  2. gently rub fresh-ground peper (and salt if must) into each side
  3. get the BBQ nice and hot
  4. slap on the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)
  5. flip the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)
  6. remove from BBQ
  7. let sit 2 minutes
  8. enjoy!

No need for BBQ sauce, marinade, etc. Just enjoy the pure goodness of the steak's natural flavour. Adjust times above depending on the thickness of the steak. The times above are for 1".

If married, be sure to complement the wife on all the work she put into the meal this accompanies, since all the husband did was "put meat on grill; wait; serve". ;) You'll get lots of brownie points if you don't try to take credit for the whole meal.

Damn, that hungry! Red peppers of the mountain range, macaroni with cheese and olive oil 100% extra virgin, all kind of stews (lentils, chickpeas and so on), beef tenderloin with fried potatoes and 2 eggs... I don't like to cook but eat everything :e

Thanks for the responses so far, everybody. And feel free to keep using this thread for sharing recipes or whatever.

DutchDaemon said:
Lentils are great, still packing the punch, but much lighter to digest.
I get the impression that lentils are often overlooked, I sure don't see them often. So I'll definitely give them a shot.

DutchDaemon said:
Other than that, I always have bell peppers, onions, garlic, and other 'stir-fryable' stuff around.
Same here. Bell peppers, mushrooms (champignons), spring onions (I love those!), cucumbers (which stir-fry nicely if you remove the seeds), garlic and bean sprouts (which in Rotterdam are dirt cheap at Asian grocery stores) are things that I almost always have lying around in the kitchen.

And in my opinion stir-frying is a great cooking technique: it's easy to learn, very quick, keeps most of the vitamins intact (as opposed to "just" boiling, as the Dutch tend to do) and vegetable/peanut/wok oil is a lot healthier than butter. What's more, if you put a little thought into it it's fairly easy to whip up dishes that are not only healthy and tasty but also visually appealing.

DutchDaemon said:
Further: Salads:
Have you been reading/watching Jamie Oliver again? ;)

SirDice said:
I don't cook much, if at all. But I do like to make nasi.
That's a good shout. Nasi (and bami) is easy to make, can be cheap if need be, can be varied endlessly and is good year-round.

It also helped me remember that paella is a great summer dish. If anyone has any specific recipes/pointers I'm all ears.

DutchDaemon said:
Actually, as far as I can tell professional kitchens are still largely dominated by men (which probably comes as no surprise to anyone who has read Kitchen Confidential). Also, I can name many more male celebrity chefs than female ones.

Crivens said:
Back to serious: usually I have little time for cooking. This is sad because I quite like it, but I prefer to make complete meals and do not like to be rushed with this.

One of my favorites, if it has to be fast, is cheese pancakes.
I agree with that. As much as I enjoy watching cooking shows on TV where the contestants are under time pressure (e.g. Masterchef or Ready, Steady, Cook), I too do not like to be rushed.

And thanks for the cheese pancakes recipe. Like most Dutchies I like my pancakes thin, but I'm sure I can make it work somehow, so I'll try it out.

SirDice said:
Lentils... That seriously always reminds me of "The Young Ones" :e
[lame]Me too![/lame] I still dig out the DVDs from time to time, great show.

drhowarddrfine said:
I own some fast food restaurants so I can microwave and do "rip open package cooking" better than all of you. :)
You are just full of surprises, aren't you ;) Care to disclose what sort of food your restaurants serve? Are they burger joints, Tex-Mex or perhaps something else entirely?

@@break19: Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love chicken and think it's very versatile, so that's good. New ways of cooking chicken are always welcome :)

phoenix said:
[snip]
No need for BBQ sauce, marinade, etc. Just enjoy the pure goodness of the steak's natural flavour.
I couldn't agree more. Steak really shouldn't be messed with too much. Season, fry, serve. That's it.

For what it's worth: I'm also going to look into gazpacho and other cold soups. I love soups anyway and I just remembered that (cold) cucumber soup with dill and smoked salmon makes a great starter on a warm day (I can post the recipe if anyone wants it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is once again interesting off-topic :)

I for one _love soups. But our (Slovak/Czech) traditional ones. I don't like much cream soups but rather "broths". I did put it in quotes as I had to use Webster dictionary to find the translation (hopefully the correct one).

If I want meat, I like chicken soup, beef broth. If I want something lite, I go with vegetables (mix of carrots, parsley, celery, spices, salt, spicy paprika. Or soup made out of pulses (sour bean soup, lentil soup, garbanzo soup). Or a broccoli soup (this one is actually a cream).

During summer I like also main dish to be lite - either some sort of salad, boiled chicken, rarely beef. And always vegetables aside. Or a risotto (chicken, mushrooms). Recently I found the recipe for the following salad: 1x salad cucumber, 3 x tomatoes, 1/2 of lemon , 1x avocado, olive oil. Slice 'n dice everything except lemon, put in a bowl. Pour oil, salt to taste, pepper to taste. Squeeze 1/2 of the lemon, mix and enjoy. I was surprised I was not hungry when I had this for lunch (as I'm in the office from 9 to 5).

Lot of good stuff can be made out of cauliflower too (soups, main dish).

phoenix said:
  1. lightly spread some olive oil over each side
  2. gently rub fresh-ground peper (and salt if must) into each side
  3. get the BBQ nice and hot
  4. slap on the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)
  5. flip the steaks; wait 4.5 minutes (for medium) or 8.0 minutes (for well)
  6. remove from BBQ
  7. let sit 2 minutes
  8. enjoy!

No need for BBQ sauce, marinade, etc. Just enjoy the pure goodness of the steak's natural flavour. Adjust times above depending on the thickness of the steak. The times above are for 1".

If married, be sure to complement the wife on all the work she put into the meal this accompanies, since all the husband did was "put meat on grill; wait; serve". ;) You'll get lots of brownie points if you don't try to take credit for the whole meal.

Now, that's a guy who knows how to cook and eat ;)

A few more tips. If the beef is very fresh it will not be very tender.

• Take a kiwi and rub the steaks.
  • Leave them for 1/2 hour in the fridge.
  • Wash out the the kiwi and marinate.

PS. Don't leave them more than 1/2 hour in kiwi, they will melt!

fonz said:
For what it's worth: I'm also going to look into gazpacho and other cold soups. I love soups anyway and I just remembered that (cold) cucumber soup with dill and smoked salmon makes a great starter on a warm day (I can post the recipe if anyone wants it).

I can never remember the name for it, but my Baba always made a wonderful cold soup with egg, oatmeal, and milk. As with most Doukhebor cooking, describing it makes it sound nasty, but cooking it it and tasting it makes you realise how wonderful it is.

There's also a cucumber variation of the same soup.

Both are wonderful on a hot summer's day.

When I saw this thread I was amazed: a cookery thread in the FreeBSD forum?
Cooking is my second passion - besides computer - so this is like a dream...

I am italian, so I love cooking! Just a few days ago I realized that in my library I have more cookery books than computer ones :e (and this is strange, since like most of us I work in the IT sector)
When I am at home, I spend great part of my spare time in the kitchen, but I am not even remotely comparable to a chef.

Besides the technical aspects of Ramsay's cooking (hats off to him), one of the gratest advice he gives in his books is to use fresh ingredients, and this is extremely true! The flavors are completely different - not to mention the economic aspect.

When possible, I use only ingredients made/grown by me or my parents (they live in the countryside): basil, thyme, sage, rosemary and many other vegetables (not-so-OT: last month I sowed Habanero chili, and they are growing very well!)
When I have enough time I also made fresh pasta by myself - hey, I repeat: I'm italian... I cannot live without pasta :)

And pizza of course... I make it at least once a week.

The only thing that I regret is that I don't have enough time to dedicate to cookery.

Anyone knows if FreeBSD has a kernel module to control the oven? It would be useful...

Crivens said:
One of these, by chance?

Great find, my friend! :e

But I have found a very cheap alternative: my home PC has an Nvidia card that burns like hell, I could use it to cook a perfect steak! I only have to find a way to drain excess fat :\

Back