Strange problem after upgrading to 14.0-RELEASE with apache24

I've had a strange problem every since upgrading to 14.0-RELEASE. I've been troubleshooting it for the past couple of weeks. Everything seem fine until I set apache24_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. As soon as I do that and reboot the system, two things happen:
1) I'm not longer able to switch to any of the text consoles once X starts via XDM, and
2) Somehow there are apparently random keypresses showing up on one of the text consoles that I can't get to, resulting in the following appearing at random intervals in /var/log/messages:
Code:
Mar 26 20:46:30 haleru login[1386]: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1
Mar 26 20:48:10 haleru login[1578]: in prompt_tty(): caught signal 3
Mar 26 20:48:10 haleru login[1578]: pam_authenticate(): Conversation failure
Mar 26 20:53:09 haleru login[1578]: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1
Mar 26 20:53:32 haleru login[1689]: in prompt_tty(): caught signal 3
Mar 26 20:53:32 haleru login[1689]: pam_authenticate(): Conversation failure
Mar 26 20:58:32 haleru login[1689]: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON ttyv1
Mar 26 20:59:02 haleru login[1743]: in prompt_tty(): caught signal 3
Mar 26 20:59:02 haleru login[1743]: pam_authenticate(): Conversation failure

freebsd-version -kru reports:
Code:
14.0-RELEASE-p5
14.0-RELEASE-p5
14.0-RELEASE-p5

When enabled, the apache server itself appears to be serving pages properly.

I say this happened after an upgrade, although due to other (unrelated?) problems I ended up wiping the drive and starting over with a fresh install of 14.0-RELEASE, yet this problem persists. I didn't have this problem with 13.2-RELEASE.

Any thoughts?

I've only got Apache 2.4 on a test 14.0-RELEASE system, and no, not seeing anything like this.

Same errors reported here but nothing mentioned about Apache 2.4:

I say this happened after an upgrade, although due to other (unrelated?) problems I ended up wiping the drive and starting over with a fresh install of 14.0-RELEASE, yet this problem persists. I didn't have this problem with 13.2-RELEASE.
I was thinking of a merge issue with some of the files in /etc/pam.d, but if you get this with a clean 14.0 install then this can't be the problem.

Everything seem fine until I set apache24_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
If you leave this out the messages stop? Is there something in your website perhaps? I mean, try to only activate the default "It works" website.

I have several VMs running Apache 2.4 on 14.0 and none of them have these messages. But these don't have a ttyv*, only ttyu0 (serial console).

If you leave this out the messages stop? Is there something in your website perhaps? I mean, try to only activate the default "It works" website.
Yes, if I comment out apache24_enable="YES" then the failed login, "...caught signal 3", and pam_authentic errors in /var/log/messages stop -- and I'm once again able to switch to the text consoles using <Ctl><Alt><F1>, etc.

I removed all of my websites and left just the default "It works" website the problem persists. Even if I use the default httpd.conf the problem persists.

That's interesting -- Reading father down that thread it sounds like the exact same symptoms I'm seeing.

Have you got anything special in your Apache configuration? Try knocking out modules especially anything that might be PAM-related (if there's even such a thing?) Just to try and narrow it down if definitely Apache.

I've got Apache 2.4 on FreeBSD 14.0 and not getting the same as you, but I've just installed and not configured much.

Have you got anything special in your Apache configuration?
It happens even with a fresh install of Apache using the stock / default httpd.conf file, before I put any of my changes in it.

That said, it happens with my changes, too, which are all pretty basic:
Code:
LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/apache24/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule php_module libexec/apache24/libphp.so
ServerAdmin (a valid e-mail address)
ServerName (my server name):80
AllowOverride All
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
<FilesMatch "\.php$">
    SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "\.phps$">
    SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-source
</FilesMatch>
... and then my VirtualHost entries. It's the same configuration I've had on this machine for a year prior to the upgrade, and the same I've had on a different one for many years.

You're obviously seeing something - and that other report had the same symptoms, just no mention of Apache.

I'm not seeing it on 14.0-RELEASE with Apache 2.4, but it's definitely not a clean build - upgraded from 13.x and using as a test bed for upgrading MySQL, Apache, PHP, etc., etc., so I will have done a lot of things differently. I don't install any graphical environment, so maybe (?!) doing that pulls in something that makes it go wonky.

I will add that it only seems to happen if I also have xdm_enable="YES" set in /etc/rc.conf. If I remove that run startx to start X, then the problems go away, even with Apache enabled.

So from what I can tell, the conditions to cause the problem are: Have bothapache24_enable="YES" and xdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf,

And the (known) symptoms are:
1) Unable to switch to text consoles via Ctrl+Alt+Fx,
2) Random key presses appearing on one of those text consoles that I can't get to (without killing xdm), leading to
3) login failure / authentication failure messages showing up in /var/log/messages, and
4) Like user hishnik mention in another post, if I get to a text console by killing xdm, the characters that appear on the console when I press keys don't match the keys I pressed.

Another clue: the random phantom key presses were always on ttyv1.

I commented out the ttyv1 line in /etc/ttys and rebooted the system. After doing that, the ability to switch to the text consoles via Ctrl+Alt+F1, etc. returned (with the exception of Ctrl+Alt+F2, obviously, which now takes me back to X instead of Ctrl+Alt+F9), and with the random phantom key presses not affecting any of the other text consoles, no more login or pam_authenticate failures were appearing in /var/log/messages. Or to put it another way, as soon as I commented out that line all of the other strange symptoms I was seening went away, at the expense of losing one text console.

Back