Stock ftpd(8) logging

I am using ftpd(8) so that another device can dump some files into my FreeBSD home server. According to the handbook, ftp logging should be written to /var/log/xferlog but I see now that file on my machine is empty. There is one line only in it, saying newsyslog first created the log file.

How do I change the logging so that any ftp activity on my machine is logged? I'm guessing I have to make a change to /etc/syslog.conf but its not clear to me what exactly I need to do. My ftp logging level is still at the default of ftp.info which is the lowest you can go, minus debug, right? And I see my stock configurtation syslogd running on my machine, and I know a bunch of other logging is working.

What am I missing?

I really don't know but I saw this on the sidebar, I guess you have already tried the -l, or -ll options?

I am using ftpd(8) so that another device can dump some files into my FreeBSD home server.
Can you share the option(s) which you set up in /etc/rc.conf to use ftpd?

This is of course assuming that you're using rc.conf and not inetd, if you use the latter I'd like to see the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.

Either way, other than the settings mentioned above it also depends on your /etc/syslog.conf. You need at least this line:
Code:
ftp.info                                        /var/log/xferlog
Make sure you didn't grab any other ftp facilities (ftp.*) or wildcard info levels (*.info) because that could also influence this entry (if they're added before this line).

My settings are stock, no changes made, thus this is the only entry in /etc/rc.conf:
ftpd_enable="YES"

The handbook page for FTP does not mention inetd(8) and only mentions /etc/rc.conf.

So in /etc/inetd.conf we have:
#ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l
#ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l

And in /etc/syslog.conf we have:
ftp.info /var/log/xferlog

My settings are/were stock, no changes made, thus no entries in /etc/rc.conf. The handbook page for FTP does not mention inetd(8) and only mentions /etc/rc.conf.
That seems a little contradictive ;) If you didn't change /etc/rc.conf then how did you set up ftpd?

Anyway, it's best to follow the instructions in chapter 29.9 of the handbook: enable FTPd in /etc/rc.conf, start the service and then it should start logging through syslog by default.

For what's it worth this is how I use it on my server:

Code:
breve:/home/peter $ grep ftp /etc/rc.conf
ftpd_enable="YES"
ftpd_flags="-4BMh"
You can find more about the available FTPd parameters ("flags") by looking through ftpd(8), and you can find all the options available for usage in /etc/rc.conf by checking up on /etc/defaults/rc.conf, just search for ftpd and you should be good.

To see some logs, you have to specify ftpd_flags="-l" in rc.conf. More options in ftpd(8) of course. That's the way you set option(s) to fptd if it is started in rc.conf (as ShelLuser mentions in his example).

Arrrrgh flags it was. I used
Code:
ftpd_flags="-ll"
as I want more logging, at least for now. In the FTP section in the handbook there is no mention of setting flags. Would be nice if it did. In fact, I would be willing to add a line in there if I were a Handbook admin. Its time for me to start contributing more to FreeBSD. If someone were to send me some contact info for a few of the Handbook admins I will write them and gladly introduce myself.

Thanks again guys!

In the FTP section in the handbook there is no mention of setting flags. Would be nice if it did. In fact, I would be willing to had a line in there if I were a Handbook admin.
Sometimes the only documentation is the actual scripts themselves. If you're looking for ways to configure certain services it always pays to look at the actual rc(8) scripts, /etc/rc.d/ftpd in this case. The *_flags variable is something that's standard for most scripts, have a look at rc.subr(8) for a few more.

Code:
                 ${name}_flags
                               Arguments to call command with.  This is
                               usually set in rc.conf(5), and not in the
                               rc.d(8) script.  The environment variable
                               `flags' can be used to override this.

Back