startx command

Hello all,

I recently installed freeBSD FreeBSD 9.0 and I can run the startx but it comes with a caveat. When my GUI session is started I can exit all of the terminals but one. I MUST keep that terminal open or else my GUI session will exit and I go back to my terminal session. I have tried startx &, startx & and then launching icewm. Is there something that I am missing?

First I tried Beastie's suggestion and I could not find the .xinitrc file. Second I tried LateNiteTV's suggestion and I think that he is right in that I am running TWM. I believe that the abbreviation is Terminal Window Manager and I am pretty sure that I did install it. What is an alternative to TWM?

lonesoac0 said:
I could not find the .xinitrc file.
That's because it's using the system default one. But you can create a custom one for yourself. Try
% ee ~/.xinitrc
Code:
xterm &
xclock &
twm

lonesoac0 said:
I beleive that the abbreviation is Terminal Window Manager
Actually it has been renamed many times over the years.

lonesoac0 said:
I am pretty sure that I did install it.
It comes automatically with Xorg.

lonesoac0 said:
What is an alternative to TWM???
It may be 25 years old but it still works fine. If you insist though, there are a few others. :)
Or if you're new to this, you may prefer a complete desktop environment.

TWM definintely does what it needs to do and there are a lot of config files and how-to articles out there that will show you how to make it pretty damn functional as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Not sure if this helps with my issue but I really want you to know what I see. I clicked on the link of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm Directly under the Using twm section there is an image of a terminal running and using TWM. When I start my GUI I see something very similar but I do not see the teal title bar on the terminal. I just see the white background terminal with the Bash prompt.

I will definately make my own ~/.xinitrc tonight.

So, I tried Beastie's code. It ran with errors. I then simply tried the first line of Beastie's code. Still no go. I then tried a "what-the-heck" kind of idea. I simply put icewm in the .xinitrc file. It worked like a CHARM!! I cannot tell you how many times my "what-the-heck" moments have helped me solve some real issues with Linux/Unix.

lonesoac0 said:
So, I tried Beastie's code. It ran with errors. I then simply tried the first line of Beastie's code. Still no go. I then tried a "what-the-heck" kind of idea. I simply put icewm in the .xinitrc file. It worked like a CHARM!! I cannot tell you how many times my "what-the-heck" moments have helped me solve some real issues with Linux/Unix.

I use full paths in mine. To see where icewm is installed simply type % which icewm >> $HOME/.xinitrc
This will append your rc file.

Also I consider TWM to be Tom's Window Manager. You can backronym it but this is the proper name for twm.

Hi

Sorry about this post in here but: to install nvidia graphic I need to go back to text mode but I first set up xorg to run gnome and get access to my USB flash and copy my driver to HDD. How can I stop xorg and go back to text mode? I used the Ctrl+Alt+Fn but it say still xorg running.

With Ctl+ALt+Fn you can 'drop' to the console while leaving X running. You typically switch back to X with Ctl+Alt+F9. An easier option is to simply use a terminal client under X to get to the console. Most window managers have one, or else use xterm or roxterm from ports.

Back