Some gnome apps stop working after a while

Hi,
After an unknown amount of idle time (maybe 2 hours) I can no longer launch gnome terminal or gnome files. The mouse spins for a bit then goes away and the app never launches and the process isn't running in the background, but xterm works fine for example. I've found most gnome apps are also affected except calculator, system monitor, and web. When I go into settings and about the version of gnome says Not Available when the issue is happening and version 42.4 before it starts happening. When I reboot the machine or restart the vnc server it solves the problem for about an hour. I use 13.2-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC on a headless intel mac mini from 2011 and X11 / tiger vnc server to access gnome which has worked fine for about a year. I recently upgraded from 13.1 to 13.2. Also, in an effort to get the clock format set to 12h I tried to set my language/format to to US english in gnome settings so I'm not sure which started this issue. I finally added en_US.UTF-8 to my shell profile script but had to use gsettings command to update the clock format to 12h because the entire Date & Time section of the main settings app is grayed out even before the app launching issue starts.

I appreciate any help or guidance on where to look to investigate, here a few pieces of info from my machine:
dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
'proc /proc procfs rw 0 0' in /etc/fstab
'/usr/local/bin/gnome-session &' in ~/.vnc/xstartup
'exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session' in ~/.xinitrc

Back