Solved [Solved] pkg + portmaster, unable to update a port.

Hi, I'm using Portmaster for port updating. However, I use pkg version -v -l'<' to see what new ports are available. I've been using Portmaster/ pkg version successfully but this week I messed up something, so now I see that a new x11/xorg-server is available, but running portmaster -Bdi xorg-server just reinstalls the current version 1.7.7_13,1 and is not updating to 1.12.4_8.

Another problem, is after I run svn up in ports, even when newer versions arrive, pkg version -v -l '<' doesn't show them. It starts showing them after make index.

Here's my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
WITH_PKGNG=yes
SSP_CFLAGS=-fstack-protector-all
WITH_SSP_PORTS=yes

Trying to recall what went wrong, I might have executed pkg2ng by mistake.

Any hints would be helpful.

Thanks.

Re: pkg + portmaster, unable to update a port.

lyuts said:
but this week I messed up something, so now I see that a new x11/xorg-server is available, but running portmaster -Bdi xorg-server just reinstalls the current version 1.7.7_13,1 and is not updating to 1.12.4_8.
The newer version is only installed when you set WITH_NEW_XORG.

Another problem, is after I run svn up in ports, even when newer versions arrive, pkg version -v -l '<' doesn't show them. It starts showing them after make index.
If you use svn(1) you have to build or fetch the index yourself.

Trying to recall what went wrong, I might have executed pkg2ng by mistake.
That's not a problem. You most likely don't have any of the 'old' packages anymore anyway.

The newer version is only installed when you set WITH_NEW_XORG.

I thought it by default goes with a newer version, because I came across this in /usr/ports/UPDATING

Code:
If it is important to stay on the old versions, it is possible to
specify WITHOUT_NEW_XORG= in /etc/make.conf to get the old xorg
distribution.

But I'll give it a try. Thanks.

lyuts said:
I thought it by default goes with a newer version, because I came across this in /usr/ports/UPDATING
As far as I know that only happens on -STABLE, not on 10.0-RELEASE. I'm not sure about the new 9.3-RELEASE though.

SirDice said:
lyuts said:
As far as I know that only happens on -STABLE, not on 10.0-RELEASE. I'm not sure about the new 9.3-RELEASE though.
From /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:
Code:
# Enable new xorg for FreeBSD versions after Radeon KMS was imported unless
# WITHOUT_NEW_XORG is set.
.if (${OSVERSION} >=902510 && ${OSVERSION} < 1000000) || ${OSVERSION} >= 1000704
. if !defined(WITHOUT_NEW_XORG)
WITH_NEW_XORG?=yes
. else
.undef WITH_NEW_XORG
. endif
.endif
So from the looks of it, 9.3-RELEASE will use NEW_XORG unless explicitly disabled.

Back