[Solaris] ZFS Cluster

A while ago I opened some topics asking about what would be the best method to create a Cluster with ZFS on FreeBSD.

I have seen that Solaris can "natively" implement a Cluster with ZFS, but I have some questions. Since I am not familiar with Solaris, I have been using it for a few days in a virtual machine and it is something different, I have had to consult the Oracle manual for practically everything, it has turned out to be something different, and I am already familiar with Linux/BSD systems. I mention this because it is going to be one of my next questions.

I have not seen any Solaris system in production, my colleagues at work have told me that using Solaris today is a waste of time, I have seen very few publications or implementations of Solaris Cluster.

With respect, question would be the following:

Is Solaris and its Solaris Cluster package, worth learning?

Since the only thing I have been able to see in production have been SAN storage solutions such as IBM storwize, HP 3PAR and Dell EMC VNX, never Solaris, but that does not mean that it is not valid, far from it.

I have also been able to use a simulation of an Oracle system called ZFS storage Appliance, from what little I have been able to it is similar to a SAN device such as the HP 3PAR, it has a WEB GUI interface and a terminal with specific commands, it is not like using ZFS on Solaris 11 or FreeBSD 14 here is the link in case I don't explain myself clearly.

ZFS Storage Applicance Demo

But apparently it is necessary to use specific Oracle hardware.

Thank, I look forward to your opinions.

In my humble opinion, it does not worth learning how to use an Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance except if your company owns one, because it is a very rare appliance, so you will unlikely reuse your skills.
You will get a better return of investment by learning in a simulator how to setup a more popular storage appliance.
For example:
  • TrueNAS
  • NetApp ONTAP 9
  • PowerScale (Isilon) OneFS 9

my colleagues at work have told me that using Solaris today is a waste of time
Let me guess: Linux fans?

Is Solaris
worth learning?
Definitely yes. Until you are sure you're comfortable with BSD, it's good idea to at least familiarize yourself with Solaris. Only this way you can make the final choice.

Solaris Cluster package
I have no idea, I've never used it.

ZFS storage Appliance
Neither. I made my NAS from plain Solaris (without GUI). I suggest focusing on the OS.

Let me guess: Linux fans?
Yes

Neither. I made my NAS from plain Solaris (without GUI). I suggest focusing on the OS.

I think it's a good idea, for now I'm going to get familiar with the system, when I'm a little more comfortable with the system I'll create two nodes to try to use the Solaris Cluster package, apparently it doesn't require an additional license, just that the two nodes must be covered my license agreement.

Back