Other Slim not working after pkg upgrade

Hi guys,

last week I ran a pkg-upgrade(8) and after that slim isn't starting anymore correctly, in fact there is only black screen. If I switch to a tty I can start slim and X11 without any problems.

I found this PR 277502, which seems to describe my problem perfectly, unfortunately I'm using pkg packages and I'm not compiling slim from ports. I've already deleted slim package and reinstalled from pkg but problem persists.

Question would be: Is there anything I can do to apply the mentioned patch to my pkg version of slim?

FreeBSD Version: 14.0-RELEASE-p6

SLIM:
slim-1.3.6_25
Name : slim
Version : 1.3.6_25
Installed on : Mon Apr 15 23:39:19 2024 CEST

If additional info about my system is needed just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

No. But!!!

You cannot easily patch your binary package. But you can build your own! You would then need to have a local ports tree which you could then easily patch and build. It is not that complicated and a skill worth learning if you are only used to using "pkg". It may seem daunting at first but it is really not that bad.

However...

You already have the patch applied. The last entry in PR 277502 references the patch. In here you see:

Code:
 PORTVERSION=    1.3.6
-PORTREVISION=    23
+PORTREVISION=    24

So this fix was included in the binary pkg package 1.3.6_24 and you are already at 1.3.6_25

And if we look at x11/slim we see the update from 24 to 25 is just moving some man pages.

Your problem is probably related to this fix - but at least you should already be using the patch. Maybe chime in on the PR?

Kind Regards,
Claus

Make sure it's not X that's failing. Disable Slim and use startx to check if it's not X itself that's causing it.

Back