Skype Video on FreeBSD

Does anyone have Skype working with a web cam? I am using FreeBSD 7.2, KDE 3.5 and Skype 2.0.0.72,1 from the ports collection.

JohnLWebb said:
Does anyone have Skype working with a web cam? I am using FreeBSD 7.2, KDE 3.5 and Skype 2.0.0.72,1 from the ports collection.
FreeBSD doesn't have any serious drivers for USB cameras. The only way to get video stream into FreeBSD box is via bktr driver and compatible devices or via web-cam (LAN connection). In both cases you will have the problem of making Skype aware of the devices.

OpenBSD and NetBSD do support UVC complaint USB cameras (essentially anything Vista ready). Ekiga works with video on OpenBSD but Linux compatibility layer can not emulate linux audio
so you can not use for VoIP. On NetBSD the latest supported version of Skype is 1.4 (last OSS version for Linux) which didn't have video. Ekiga works with video. I am not sure if NetBSD are working on ALSA support (I doubted as they have so many serious projects going on right now) in their Linux emulator layer which is necessary for Skype 2.0.

Thanks for the info Oko. So, basically, video is not in the cards with Skype on FreeBSD for now. I can live without it...

JohnLWebb said:
Thanks for the info Oko. So, basically, video is not in the cards with Skype on FreeBSD for now. I can live without it...

I don't have a web cam but to see the other side works very good. Same as the sound on my FreeBSD 7.2.

Oko said:
FreeBSD doesn't have any serious drivers for USB cameras. The only way to get video stream into FreeBSD box is via bktr driver and compatible devices or via web-cam (LAN connection). In both cases you will have the problem of making Skype aware of the devices.

OpenBSD and NetBSD do support UVC complaint USB cameras (essentially anything Vista ready). Ekiga works with video on OpenBSD but Linux compatibility layer can not emulate linux audio
so you can not use for VoIP. On NetBSD the latest supported version of Skype is 1.4 (last OSS version for Linux) which didn't have video. Ekiga works with video. I am not sure if NetBSD are working on ALSA support (I doubted as they have so many serious projects going on right now) in their Linux emulator layer which is necessary for Skype 2.0.

I heart that FB 9 will support UVC complaint USB cameras. Right?

Back