Shutdown monitor/power saving?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2077
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2077

I have X11 or xdm running on my workstation. How do I enable it so that the monitor will shutdown or go into "power saving mode" after X minutes of no activity? Is this something X11 does or powerd or other?

You can usually control this via the window manager that you are using. And you can also enable DPMS via xorg.conf in the Monitor section
Code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor 0"
VendorName "your vendor name goes here"
ModelName  "Your model name goes here"
Option    "DPMS"
EndSection

As the above poster says, enable DPMS in xorg.conf. Then usually you control this via screensaver settings for whatever environment you're running - I control this from the "Advanced" tab on xscreensaver-demo; and I remember in KDE system settings you look under "Power settings".

trepanne said:
As the above poster says, enable DPMS in xorg.conf. Then usually you control this via screensaver settings for whatever environment you're running - I control this from the "Advanced" tab on xscreensaver-demo; and I remember in KDE system settings you look under "Power settings".

Thanks, but how do you call xscreensaver from xdm?

Thanks, but how do you call xscreensaver from xdm?

The xscreensaver man page (together with the FAQ on Jamie's website) is one of the jewels of UNIX technical documentation. You really should read it - here's how it starts:
GETTING STARTED
For the impatient, try this:

xscreensaver &
xscreensaver-demo

The xscreensaver-demo (1) program pops up a dialog box that lets you configure the screen saver, and experiment with the various display modes.

Note that xscreensaver has a client-server model: the xscreensaver program is a daemon that runs in the background; it is controlled by the foreground xscreensaver-demo (1) and xscreensaver-command (1) programs.

CONFIGURATION
The easiest way to configure xscreensaver is to simply run the xscreensaver-demo (1) program, and change the settings through the GUI. The rest of this manual page describes lower level ways of changing settings.

I'll repeat that because it's important:

The easy way to configure xscreensaver is to run the xscreensaver-demo (1) program. You shouldn't need to know any of the stuff described in this manual unless you are trying to do something tricky, like customize xscreensaver for site-wide use or something.

I call xscreensaver from .xinitrc/.xsession. If you're running xdm, it may be valuable for you to read up on these (as well as .Xresources etc.)

Ok, found the problem. My syngery session kept waking it up.

Back