1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up HP IP printer (wifi)

Discussion in 'Peripheral Hardware' started by forkandwait, Apr 22, 2012.

1. forkandwait

forkandwait New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am a rank amateur when it comes to admining FreeBSD, but I am trying to set up printing from a laptop to a wireless printer on the same network. Here is what I tried and how it failed, and I would love some advice:

First I ran hp-probe with these results:

Code:
      Device URI                                      Model                    Name    
      ----------------------------------------------  -----------------------  --------
      hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A910?ip=192.168.1.5  Officejet_Pro_8500_A910  HP2E806B

Then I pinged the printer just to make sure and, indeed, it is pingable.

But with hp-setup 192.168.1.5 I get this:

Code:
    Searching for device...
    error:  Device not found.   Please make sure your printer is properly connected and powered-on.
    error:  Invalid manual discovery parameter. 

I am not really even sure how to proceed. I know CUPS is installed, but I haven't configured it at all (nor do I know how).

Thanks for any help possible ;)

2. tingo

tingo Member

Thanks Received:
    What happens if you just run # hp-setup?

3. forkandwait

forkandwait New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I run hp-setup alone, the options for Network/Ethernet are greyed out. I run it as a regular user, because otherwise it can't access the X11 for the GUI.

I tried running hp-setup 192.168.1.5 and I get
    Code:
    device not found
    If I run as root, I have to use the "-i" flag because I don't have a GUI, and I get
    Code:
    using connection type USB, invalid device URI
    with hp-setup -i 192.168.1.5

Don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I can provide more info if necessary.

4. tingo

tingo Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to run it as root, you can try # DISPLAY=:0.0 hp-setup
    (or whatever your DISPLAY value is).
    Oh, and one more thing: can you ping your printer from the workstation?

5. teig

teig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Just got around doing this as well; and had similar problems. Apparantly hplip does not have 'net' enabled by default, had to recompile via ports enabling SNMP. This made hp-probe find the printer. And plain hp-setup also found and installed the printer.

But I have a problem with CUPS, it does not accept my root/pw as login, so can't manage my printer that way?

I'm on 9.0, on 8.x I had all this working ok, though not perfect.

6. redw0lfx

redw0lfx New Member

Thanks Received:
    To have WIFI working with print/hplip, you must recompile from ports, making sure to select snmp option.

You must edit /etc/rc.conf and add
    Code:
    cupsd_enable="YES"
    Then start the cupsd service. Once that is done, you can run hp-setup as a normal user, and it will prompt you for a username and password which I use root's credentials for. Your user must also be part of the wheel group, otherwise you are not able to elevate your privileges, I believe.