Serious problem about virtualbox-ose after upgrading to 9.3

After freebsd-update -r 9.3-RELEASE on a 9.1 box, uname -r shows "9.3-RELEASE-p3". Then I run freebsd-update upgrade virtualbox-ose to upgrade to 4.3.18 successfully.

But each time I run VBoxManage startvm winxp, it will reboot and fsck the system. Even kldunload vboxdrv will do the same odd thing.

Code:
$pkg which /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage
/usr/local/bin/VBoxManage was installed by package virtualbox-ose-4.3.18

Code:
$pkg which /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko
/boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko was installed by package virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.18

Regards!

I've had similar problems, but found they went away after rebuilding the kernel module on the target machine, instead of installing a package built elsewhere.

# portsnap fetch update
# portmaster emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod

I'm assuming you're updating your ports tree with portsnap and have ports-mgmt/portmaster installed.

If you don't use portmaster, then do # make -C /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod reinstall clean.

EDITED: Lots of small changes. I'm getting used to the new forums.
ADDED: Please see wblock@'s post below regarding the kernel sources.

Yes, freebsd-update is for the system, not for single ports/packages. But for one reason or another he seems to have 4.3.18 on his system (which is OK and up-to-date).

My first suggestion would be to properly re-install Virtualbox. For that software I would strongly recommend to use the port (rather than the package).

So, with Virtualbox not running:

cd /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose
make deinstall clean reinstall

Unfortunately I don't remember whether this also takes care of emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod or whether you need to reinstall that, too.

Be sure to stick to the guidelines, for example regarding /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf.

I still do not want to use ports. My whole 9.1-RELEASE was built by using the pkg utility. So I would like to use pkg in 9.3-RELEASE.
Thanks for all your recommendations, I will try to re-install virtualbox-ose by pkg if necessary.

You need to reinstall the kernel module port by using pkg install -f emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod, this will pull in the correct package for FreeBSD 9.3 and install it by force. It needs to be reinstalled by force because the version numbers in the installed package and the one in the 9.3 repository are the same and ports-mgmt/pkg won't recognize the package in the 9.3 repository as an update.

Back