Samba, add permissions

Hello masters :)

A question about permissions. I have 3 users, maria, cathy, ben. I create one group [smbusers] and add maria, cathy and ben to this group. I have a storage with Samba, /files/sales. I add this group smbusers to sales with full permissions and it is working very well.

Code:
drwxrwxr--  /sales

My question is: how to add another user to sales with READ ONLY permission? Or how to add many groups to sales with different permissions?

Thanks.

johndk said:
Hello masters :)

A question about permissions. I have 3 users, maria, cathy, ben. I create one group [smbusers] and add maria, cathy and ben to this group. I have a storage with Samba, /files/sales. I add this group smbusers to sales with full permissions and it is working very well.

Code:
drwxrwxr--  /sales

My question is: how to add another user to sales with READ ONLY permission? Or how to add many groups to sales with different permissions?

Thanks.

You can do that using samba permissions system. Read this: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html . Look for "valid users" and "write list".

I would do that this way (smb.conf):
Code:
write list = @sambausers_full // group with full acces. 
valid users= @sambausers // all users

sambausers_full memebers: maria, cathy, ben.
sambausers members: maria, cathy, ben, readonly_user, readonly_user2.

I assume that /sales is owned (chowned) by group sambausers with unix permissions 0770.

Thanks soulreaver1 for your reply. I do it with valid users and write list.
Very useful is ACL, Access Control Lists, I load them on my disk storage with tunefs.

I shut down the system to unload the disks with shutdown now.
Code:
#Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: 

#unmonting the disks
/sbin/umount /storage

#load the ACL on disk /storage

/sbin/tunefs -a enable /dev/ad0s1f

#with mount command i can see the acls
/dev/ad0s1f on /storage (ufs, local, soft-updates, acls)

# exit
That's it. ACLs are now enabled on /storage.
thanks

Back