Ralink rt2870 wifi support?

tim-m89 said:
I tried using the latest 1 and did a reboot to see how it would normally start. That caused a kernel panic on boot.

I'm sticking with an older version that I backed up. (I said on page 4 that I was getting random crashed - those are still happening, don't know the cause and memcheck reports fine)

Can you host it off site with all version available with as much info on the changes as possible? It would be much easy than going to page 3 each time to get some version that could have breaking changes.

My AP is configure for b+g+n & wpa1_aes + wpa2_aes.

It would have used G last time so maybe now that it's trying to use N that could be were the buggy code is at?

Also if there are any ways non-financialy I can help just ask.

Yeah, 802.11n AP not tested yet, i only tested 802.11n a little bit in STA mode.

You could help me a lot by enabling debugger in your kernel, then you could send me crash dumps. It would help me a lot to find bugs.

tim-m89 said:
I tried using the latest 1 and did a reboot to see how it would normally start. That caused a kernel panic on boot.

I'm sticking with an older version that I backed up. (I said on page 4 that I was getting random crashed - those are still happening, don't know the cause and memcheck reports fine)

Can you host it off site with all version available with as much info on the changes as possible? It would be much easy than going to page 3 each time to get some version that could have breaking changes.

It would have used G last time so maybe now that it's trying to use N that could be were the buggy code is at?

Which FreeBSD version are you using ?

tim-m89 said:

Yes, you are probably right and i need git repository or something like that. But it is not priority 1 now.

:e :e :e

freebsd 8 amd64 is the version I am using. I will look into debugging, I don't find this too easy and if it means intentionally causing my computer to not de mount the filessystems then I probably won't be too interested.

tim-m89 said:
freebsd 8 amd64 is the version I am using. I will look into debugging, I don't find this too easy and if it means intentionally causing my computer to not de mount the filessystems then I probably won't be too interested.

I think when the kernel crashes, the filesystem is not unmounted anyway :e
And you can enable or disable debugging with sysctl when FreeBSD runs.

FreeBSD kernel debugging: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-online-ddb.html

tim-m89 said:

I think i have found the problem you encountered. amd64 has problems with jumbo frames. I will fix it in the next days.
I have already fixed a similar problem with jumbo frames in rt2860 driver.

tim-m89 said:

I checked in a new driver version with amd64 fixes. Please test it and report back. Thanks.

egorenar said:
I checked in a new driver version with amd64 fixes. Please test it and report back. Thanks.

Sorry but it doesn't work for me:

Code:
# kldload rt2870.ko
kldload: can't load rt2870.ko: Exec format error

tim-m89 said:

Code:
# kldload rt2870.ko

Hm, very strange, did you build a new kernel or change the driver's Makefile ?
I have no problems with my FreeBSD 8 custom kernel. But i have i386 acrh.
Make sure you recompile the driver and load it from local directory because
the compiled kernel module is not copied to /boot/kernel/ directory automatically.
You have to do it by yourself.

kldload ./rt2870.ko

tim-m89 said:

Code:
# kldload rt2870.ko

Sorry, my error :e I fixed this issue. Please try again. Thanks.

Alex.

egorenar said:
Sorry, my error :e I fixed this issue. Please try again. Thanks.

Alex.

The driver now loads but causes my computer to crash. I Didn't get round to ever figuring out the crash dump as what I read so far the usual way would be to have swap size bigger than ram and it would be automatic (my swap size is smaller) and I have yet to setup anything else.

In the meantime if it is easier I have attached the old driver that works for me for you to compare with your latest code:

Attachments

• rt2870_fbsd8_old.tar.bz2
    31.1 KB · Views: 188
tim-m89 said:
The driver now loads but causes my computer to crash. I Didn't get round to ever figuring out the crash dump as what I read so far the usual way would be to have swap size bigger than ram and it would be automatic (my swap size is smaller) and I have yet to setup anything else.

In the meantime if it is easier I have attached the old driver that works for me for you to compare with your latest code:

The chance is low that i find the problem on my own, i need your help, I would appreciate it. Just install debugger, you don't need swap space.

Alex.

egorenar said:
The chance is low that i find the problem on my own, i need your help, I would appreciate it. Just install debugger, you don't need swap space.

Alex.

OK I have the online debugger working. I don't know how to use this. What commands should I use once it fires.

tim-m89 said:
OK I have the online debugger working. I don't know how to use this. What commands should I use once it fires.

1. Boot freebsd
2. Don't load rt2870.ko module yet !!!
3. Change to virtual console 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and don't change to X back in the following steps !!!
4. Activate debugger with: # sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic=1
(optional, needed only if you compiled your kernel with "options KDB_UNATTENDED")
5. Now load rt2870.ko module
6. Try to get a panic :e
7. When a panic occurs, the debugger is activated
8. Type "bt" to print a backtrace and take photo for me :)

Alex.

egorenar said:
1. Boot freebsd
2. Don't load rt2870.ko module yet !!!
3. Change to virtual console 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and don't change to X back in the following steps !!!
4. Activate debugger with: sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic=1
(optional, needed only if you compiled your kernel with "options KDB_UNATTENDED")
5. Now load rt2870.ko module
6. Try to get a panic :e
7. When a panic occurs, the debugger is activated
8. Type "bt" to print a backtrace and take photo for me :)

Alex.

When you said "don't need swap" I though you meant it was possible to do a dump without it. OK hold on and I will see if I can borrow a camera...

UPDATE:

Here hope it's clear enough for you: rt2870-error-shots.tar.bz2 - 2.11MB

tim-m89 said:
When you said "don't need swap" I though you meant it was possible to do a dump without it. OK hold on and I will see if I can borrow a camera...

UPDATE:

Thanks, it helped me further :e
You are using 802.11n, are you ?
I implemented BA (A-MPDUs) in in the last version of driver but could not test it because i couldn't make my AP send me ADDBA requests. But
obviously your AP sends you ADDBA requests. I will investigate the problem. Temporal solution for you is to use only 802.11g mode in your AP.

Thanks.

Alex.

tim-m89 said:

UPDATE:

OK, fixed this bug, forgot to arquire a lock :e
Try it again.
Could you please enable ADDBA/DELBA debugging on your machine and send me a log:
Code:
# kenv hw.rt2870.debug=0x00000800  <--- this enables Block ACK debugging messages
# kldload rt2870.ko
# dmesg

What AP do you have ?

Thanks for your help, awaiting your response :)

egorenar said:
Could you please enable ADDBA/DELBA debugging on your machine and send me a log:
Code:
# kenv hw.rt2870.debug=0x00000800  <--- this enables Block ACK debugging messages
# kldload rt2870.ko
# dmesg

dmesg is attached. I had to make sure N was disabled on my router for it to associate though. It seems to work fine on B/G.

egorenar said:
What AP do you have ?

Belkin F5D8631-4 version: 2000 with latest firmware up to date.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt.gz
    5 KB · Views: 232
sorry i fixed my firmware issues this question however i cannot solve- when i do ifconfig rt28700 channel any ssid "NETGEAR" i get
Code:
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid Argument
can you please tell me what this problem is it has utterly confused me?

mf93 said:
sorry i fixed my firmware issues this question however i cannot solve- when i do ifconfig rt28700 channel any ssid "NETGEAR" i get
Code:
ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid Argument
can you please tell me what this problem is it has utterly confused me?

You don't need any firmware, it's already embedded into the driver.
What FreeBSD version are you using ?

If you are using FreeBSD 8 then first you have to create a WLAN device:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rt28700 wlanmode sta

and then you can do

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 channel ... etc

Why are you not using WPA supplicant ?

Back