RAID striping with FreeBSD already installed

I'd like to know if there is a way to install a RAID striping with FreeBSD already installed on the system.

I have two hard drives, one blank and another with FreeBSD installed on it, and I'd like to know if I could do a RAID striping without reinstalling all the system.

Let's try to be more specific: if by "striping" you mean RAID0, then no, I don't think that can be done. The existing disk would have to be backed up, the RAID0 created, and then the data restored onto it.

@zehfi: If you are talking about Striping/RAID0 as in here: wikipedia RAID0, then:
I don't think so and agree to wblock@.

RAID0 = Striping - will let some physical disks appear "as one big disk" (size of all striped disks) to the operating system.

opposing to:
RAID1 = Mirror - will let two disks appear "as one disk" having only the capacity of the smallest attached disk.
-> keep two disks synced with identical contents
-> losing 50% capacity (one of two disks)
-> increasing redundancy

Does this make sense?

@zehfi

I think the most responsible question would be; why do you want RAID0 in the first place? I mean, it's dangerous, you'd have no safety at all and slightest error on any of the HDD's would render all of data gone, lost in cyber space, kaputt, finite, is no more, at all! Hope you're going to have proper backups for that, is all I'm saying.

/Sebulon

Back