Radeon RX 7600M XT graphics card switched off in bios, trying to use iGPU on an AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS

I have a Tuxedo Sirius (https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/TUXEDO-Sirius-16-Gen1) with an AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS and a Radeon RX 7600M XT graphics card. The Radeon is not supported yet in freebsd (port https://www.freshports.org/graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod), but that CPU has a built-in iGPU that might be supported. I have tried deactivating the dGPU on bios, but I still get no X but a default low-res desktop (800x600) that the kernel may have for when the card is not supported.

I'm completely new to freebsd so I may well be missing some obvious config option. Should I keep trying ? Or should I just wait till that dGPU is supported on drmk-mod drivers?

Thanks!

Try
pciconf -lvbce
There should be vgapci0 and vgapci1. I do not know which is which, but if vgapci0 is Radeon RX 7600 XT, put
Code:
hint.vgapci.0.disabled="1"
in /boot/loader.conf

Does it makes any difference?

I can disable the dGPU in bios, that's probably even better, right?

> Is your console high resolution (often 1920 x 1080)?

Yes

> Have you tried both amdgpu and radeonkms?

No, this is my daily driver computer so going in and doing tests has to wait till there's nothing major pending at work. Thanks for offering this solution, I'll try it as soon as I can.

If you have neither
Code:
kld_list="amdgpu"
nor
Code:
kld_list="radeonkms"
in /etc/rc.conf then I am very curious how you have configured your graphics card for Xorg?

Have you followed the handbook to set up your x session? There is no default x session you need to follow the handbook to set up your graphics card and xorg or Wayland. It's all in the handbook.

The 7840HS is not yet supported in FreeBSD 14. I heard reports it is working in FreeBSD 15-CURRENT.
graphics/drm-61-kmod can be used on a recent 14-STABLE now. Don't need -CURRENT anymore, the required kernel changes have been MFCed. Which means it'll be available in the upcoming 14.1-RELEASE.

If you want to try it now, upgrade to 14-STABLE (you can do this by building from source).

Back