PS3 (Dualshock) Driver | Question regarding input/output

Hello,

I'm developing a translation layer that reverse engineers the PS3's Dualshock 3's input to something that FreeBSD, can interpret. However, I ran into a roadblock, as the aim is to bring the native controls (gamepad ones) to FreeBSD, rather than using the keyboard and mouse translation. I was looking to simulate control outputs, such as "X" or "Circle", to "A" , "B" and so on.. the goal was to get wine and some native FreeBSD games that I have ported to use the Xbox layout, or a layout which can work. My question is, what libraries could I use to simulate such control sets. Please let me know.

I managed to get almost everything working, its sort of like wine, but it runs as a daemon. It detects the USB data and converts it into functions. Everything on the controller works, such as the buttons, dpads, and sticks. Only thing is I need a to send some input for it to be read by the game or program.

I'll add them now, and compile my kernel. I think there might be hope for the ps4dshock kernel module. As its based on its predecessor. Thank you for your response.

Hello,

I tried SDL 2 from ports, and it seems to not fire any input. The provided kernel modules, have not effect on the controller surprisingly. The /dev/input/event* does not list my PS3 controller. Is there anyway, to fire gamepad inputs through xorg? Because I read the documentation and only saw mouse and keyboard input types.

The provided kernel modules, have not effect on the controller surprisingly.
No, they are for different devices. You can look at their source code though, that's why I mentioned them. See how they are sending their inputs to the system. You wanted to create a driver that behaves like an Xbox controller, so it should be useful if you look at the actual code of the Xbox controller driver to see how and what kind of events it provides.

Back