problem with login.access

Hello,
in addition to the real console, I'd like to access my server via ssh but restrict this access to one computer of the local network.
So I tried to use these lines in /etc/login.access:
Code:
+:ALL:ttyv0
+:ALL:192.168.1.102
-:ALL:ALL

Now when I connect to the server from 192.168.2.102 or login directly at the console(ttyv0) as an user that is member of wheel and try to use su to become root I get this:
Code:
pam_login_access: pam_sm_acct_mgmt: root is not allowed to log in on /dev/tty..)

Why that? How do these lines in login.access disable the abillity to become root via su-command?
Whithout any restrictions in login.access the users in wheel-group are able to become root...

Thanks,
Nokobon

DutchDaemon said:
Why not use hosts.allow for this (hosts_access(5))? Sshd is tcpwrapper-aware.
You are right in this situation I'd just need tcp-wrappers.
But I forgot to mention that I will have for example one user that is allowed to login over ssh from everywhere.
Sorry for that!
So I have to distinguish between the different users that use ssh which is not possible with tcp wrappers.
In fact my login.acces will look like this:
Code:
+:ALL:ttyv0
+:ALL:192.168.1.102
+:user1:ALL
-:ALL:ALL

Every ssh-login is restricted to the local network and ttyv0 except for user1.
So why doesn't su work now?

Nokobon said:
Why that? How do these lines in login.access disable the abillity to become root via su-command?
Whithout any restrictions in login.access the users in wheel-group are able to become root...

Because if you look at rule stack in [font="Fixedsys"]/etc/pam.d/su[/font] you'll see that it requires "system"]/etc/pam.d/system[/font] contains the rule:
Code:
account         required        pam_login_access.so

So login.access changes affect more than one PAM-enabled program -- good thing to keep in mind when you're formulating your ruleset.

As for the original problem, you're probably trying to su from a tty that isn't being explicitly allowed. You may need something more like:
Code:
+:ALL:LOCAL

Or... you may need to explicitly list all possible ttys.

Thanks for your answer!
anomie said:
Because if you look at rule stack in [font="Fixedsys"]/etc/pam.d/su[/font] you'll see that it requires "system"; [font="Fixedsys"]/etc/pam.d/system[/font] contains the rule:
Code:
account         required        pam_login_access.so

So login.access changes affect more than one PAM-enabled program -- good thing to keep in mind when you're formulating your ruleset.
Well sorry. I have to say, I don't really get what you want to tell me...I've read the man page for pam, but it didn't help to understand that.

anomie said:
As for the original problem, you're probably trying to su from a tty that isn't being explicitly allowed. You may need something more like:
Code:
+:ALL:LOCAL
I added this line to login.access and know I can use su via ssh.
But what is the difference between using "LOCAL" and using the ip "192.168.1."? I thought they both represent the local network.
But in fact I need both rules to be able to use su...

anomie said:
Or... you may need to explicitly list all possible ttys.
I explicitly allowed ttyv0 before and it didn't work anyhow...

anomie said:
No. Read the manpages for login.access(5)
Well, I've read the man page on my server(FreeBSD7.1), but it's different to the one you reffered to.
It says:
Code:
LOCAL (matches any string that does not contain a "." character)
And "Absolute FreeBSD" says, LOCAL matches any host without a dot in it (generally only hosts in the local domain).

Any host in my local domain has got an ip beginning with 192.168.1., so I still wonder whats the difference...

I don't think it is concerned with ttys because the man page says, login.access looks for matching user-host combination (network logins) or user-tty combination (non-network logins).
And we are talking about network logins now.

Anyhow...now it works, so thanks for your help.

There are lots of ways to skin this potato; I don't see a reason to not use pam_login_access(8) to solve this problem (assuming OP is familiar with the others).

@Nokobon: All those manpage versions are saying essentially the same thing!! :) And ttys do not have a dot in them, so of course they match LOCAL. Glad it's working now.

Yes, I'm glad it's working now. :)
Thanks!

@ironmikie:
Goot idea, I use the AllowUsers-Option of ssh, but I didn't know (or forget) that the users can even be restricted to a specific IP.
I may try that.

The advantage of login.access is that these rules apply for all login-ways(FTP,Telnet,..), not just for ssh...

Back