Problem playing network files

Hi to all,

I've been trying to open files placed in a samba share using nautilus. I have compiled gvfs with fuse support, so when login to gnome you get ~/.gvfs automagically mounted as a fuse device. All the network places mounted with nautilus show there, so non gnome-apps can access the files through the .gvfs/ as local files.

The process responsible of serving this fuse mountpoint is gvfs-fuse-daemon.

My problem is that when opening a terminal, I can cd to .gvfs and browse those shares, I can ls them, etc. But I'm unable to open files through this fuse daemon. For example, if try to open an avi file with mplayer (it doesn't matter if it's a video or a .docx file for openoffice.org, it won't work) the app seems to freeze.

Moreover, if I open a terminal and I try to copy a file with 'cp' it get an input/output error.

In the other hand, I've been able to play files through fusefs-ssh without problems so far.

Is there anyone else having this behaviour ? Do you think it is fuse problem or gvfs-fuse-daemon deathlock ?

More info

Playing with this issue, I discovered something :

1. Mount a share with nautilus.
  2. Mount a remote system with fusefs-ssh. For example, I try to mount the remote directory "/mnt/multimedia" to my local directory ~/multimedia with "sshfs"
  3. Open a freezing file with nautilus. The app should be a non gnome-aware app (for example, vlc)
  4. The try to browse ~/multimedia (remember, mounted with sshfs). You won't be able ! It will seem to freeze until the app accessing .gvfs gets an input/output error.
  5. Accessing multiple times remote files with fusefs-sshfs doesn't seem to trigger the problem.

So It seems to me something in gvfs-fuse-daemon triggers an error in fuse. Can anyone confirm this ? How can I know where is the deadlock ?

Having access through nautilus would be very useful.

Some more information

I've discovered a similar problem.

Mounting AudioCDs via the GNOME Automount mechanism works, but if I try to play a CD or DVD with an application relying on fuse/hal, I get an error message. For example Rhythmbox tells me the audio cd is not accessible. Having spent some time searching the net and regarding the fact the as root user there is no problem, I've found out the the directory <yourhome>/.gvfs
has to be writeable, which isn't for the normal user.

Trying to set the permission by myself fails with GNOME running. Without GNOME running I can change the permissions from rx to rwx but starting GNOME strips the w permission again. I've been searching a lot yesterday but couldn't find something useful. It might have to do something with the gvfs-fuse-daemon but I can't find configuration files.

x-com said:
I've discovered a similarproblem. Mounting AudioCD's via the GNOME Automount mechanism works, but if I try to play a CD or DVD with an application relying on fuse/hal, I get an error message. For example Rhythmbox tells me the audio cd is not accessible.

Gnome FAQ #15

@SirDice:
Already read and already done! Doesn't help anything as long you're not telling gvfs-fuse-mount to mount with rw options. The only question is how!

Rhythmbox and similar applications do not use gvfs-fuse. An audio CD doesn't need to be mounted to be played.

An audio cd is mounted via [cmd=]gvfs-mount cdda://acd0[/cmd] for example.

This is no "classic" mount of BSD's which could cause a kernel panic, but it IS mounted. Naturally for the GNOME environment in the .gvfs directory within your home directory. If this is writable to the user, you can just work fine (like it is when I am root and at my Debian System).

The problem is that in my user account this directory isn't writable and you can't manually set the permissions because some daemon has its hands on it. As far as my research got, it must be either the gvfsd or the gvfs-fuse-daemon. The mount command lists the .gvfs directory mounted by some fuse related stuff (I am not at my FreeBSD PC at the moment, so I cannot post the output, but I will do that this evening).

So the remaining question is: How to configure these two daemons or at least one of them. I can't find corresponding .conf files.

Ok, here is the promised posting of mount
Code:
/dev/fuse0 on /usr/home/thomas/.gvfs (fusefs, local, nosuid, synchronous, mounted by thomas)
the device fuse0 is writeable. Has anyone a suggestion?

Back