Printer not available in KDE applications

I've installed KDE 4.6.1 on FreeBSD 8.2 i386. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer connected via parallel port. CUPS 1.4.6 is installed, and applications such as Firefox and Libreoffice can successfully print to my printer. However, when I try to print from KDE applications such as Okular, KWrite or Konqueror, my printer is not even listed - only options are 'Print to PDF' and 'Print to Postscript'.

When I discovered this problem, I also noticed that there is nothing at all printing-related under KDE's system settings. I installed system-config-printer-kde4 and this added the applet which shows me the existing printer and allows to configure it, but this printer still doesn't appear in KDE applications.

I've read suggestions that replacing the lp* tools under /usr/bin with symlinks to corresponding CUPS binaries under /usr/local/bin might help, but in my case this doesn't seem to help. What else might I be missing?

I posted the same question to KDE forum and got a question in response:

Is CUPS support included in your Qt build?

So I'm trying to find out if it is. None of the qt4_* ports that I have installed seem to depend on cups-client port. Digging further I discovered a variable QT4_OPTIONS that one can define in /etc/make.conf like this:

Code:
QT4_OPTIONS=CUPS

I do not have such variable defined. Does this mean that I have Qt4 built without CUPS? On my previous computer with Qt 4.6.3 and KDE 4.4.5 I don't remember that I had to set such option, and printing from KDE apps worked fine.

Yes, that was it. I added
Code:
QT4_OPTIONS=CUPS
to /etc/make.conf and rebuilt qt4-corelib and qt4-gui. After that, I can print to my CUPS printer from KDE apps. Also I removed the symlinks to lp* binaries from /usr/bin that I had created earlier - looks like they are not necessary.

Back