Post your background music while coding.

* Silence *

At work i even have one of these:
d5a3d8401874d90a5700749fb534f8f9.jpg

Another strong single tasker here. Code XOR anything else.
Like hruodr, I am unlikely to listen to music when otherwise engaged.
e.g. when driving, I prefer to concentrate on the driving.

Depends on the mood. In general if I have to concentrate trance is a way to go for me, was for more than 20 years. If I have to kick start myself metal (or rock) is way to go. My goto album is Master of Puppets from Metallica. Or I tune into some generic rock station or YT playlist.

Music is a mood thing, sometimes I do like classical music (Hilary Hahn, Ray Chen..). And hey, I did do some coding listening to folk music too.

But that's beauty of music - wider the range, the better.

I rarely listen to music overall and when I tried music with coding it was a disaster, when having lines of lyrics and notes pouring in to your ears, it really grabs your attention. It takes you out of your immersed coding mode, but also doesn't let you enjoy the music because your main goal is coding. At times, I had phased out of programming and stared listening to music, then to realize my hands are not typing, and I'm not thinking about the code.

I can't do this at work without driving others nuts but at home I usually have NPR (news radio) on as well as some music! Anyone else do this? Normally I listen to pretty much anything and everything. When writing code or when thinking about design I usually listen to stuff like space music, Western classical, old renaissance music, Indian classical (more Hindustani than Carnatic, usually instrumental) etc. etc. Anything slow and repetitive! Examples:

While debugging I tend to play faster music for some reason.
Example:

I had Hans Zimmer live on in the last days. Concert comming to town next year. But it would be actually be cheaper to travel to Amsterdam. :/

Back