Plasma wayland fails with "kwin_wayland_drm: No suitable DRM devices have been found"

I am trying to get KDE plasma running on wayland.

As far as I have understood, it's not possible to launch into KDE wayland from sddm, but should be possible by executing startplasma-wayland.sh or ck-launch-session dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland as a non-root user. Doing so (however fails with the following error (same result for both commands):

Code:
# startplasma-wayland.sh
org.kde.startup: not a reply org.freedesktop.locale1 QDBusMessage(type=Error, service="org.freedesktop.DBus", error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", error message="The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files", signature="s", contents=("The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files") )
dbus-daemon[1581]: [session uid=1001 pid=1581] Activating service name='org.kde.KSplash' requested by ':1.0' (uid=1001 pid=1582 comm="")
No backend specified, automatically choosing drm
kwin_wayland_drm: No suitable DRM devices have been found
qt.qpa.wayland: Creating a fake screen in order for Qt not to crash
The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
qt.qpa.wayland: Creating a fake screen in order for Qt not to crash
The Wayland connection broke. Did the Wayland compositor die?
kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Error: could not determine $DISPLAY.
Error: Can not contact kdeinit5!
org.kde.startup: "kdeinit5_shutdown" () exited with code 255
startplasma-wayland: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Done.

I've tried to google the error messages, but without any luck.

I am on a fresh install of 14.0-CURRENT. The main reason for the choice of 14.0-CURRENT over 13.2-STABLE is that I've been unable to get my GPU (Radeon RX 6750 XT) working with 13.2. My assumption being the difference between drm-510-kmod and drm-515-kmod.

After completing the base installation the following is what I've done:
Code:
# pkg install nano xorg kde5 kdevelop sddm git firefox
# sysrc dbus_enable=YES
# sysrc sddm_enable=NO

# pkg install drm-515-kmod
# pkg install gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-navy-flounder
# sysrc kld_list+=amdgpu

If I boot in to KDE Plasama x11 and run:
Code:
# export $(dbus-launch)
# kwin_wayland --xwayland
# kwrite --platform wayland

I get a window with a wayland compositor and kwrite. Not sure if it's possible to draw any conclusions from that.

Any help is much appreciated.

According to the Handbook, chapter 6.1:

As of May, 2021, plasma5-kwin does support Wayland on FreeBSD. To use Plasma under Wayland, use the startplasma-wayland parameter to ck-launch-session and tie in dbus with: ck-launch-session dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland to get it working.

I don't use kde, but installed and tried, and got similar error. From sddm, plasma(wayland) hangs. I stopped sddm and ran the command from terminal and got the 'No suitable DRM' error, I even tried with seatd service running. I'm also on 14-current with a 6700Xt navy-flounder. Someone else might have to help if they run it fine.

Just in case, have you checked your XDG_RUNTIME_DIR env and tried the different suggestions from the handbook? (chapter you linked). That usually cases issues with wayland if not set properly.

Just in case, have you checked your XDG_RUNTIME_DIR env and tried the different suggestions from the handbook? (chapter you linked). That usually cases issues with wayland if not set properly.
I believe I did, but just to make sure I tried again. Same error.

A word of caution, Wayland functionality did get broken in some later KDE/Plasma versions (5.23.x, iirc). So basically, pay attention to versions and tags on the software you use.

In recent weeks, I'm seeing lots of people having port compilation issues. So it's not out of question that Wayland functionality got broken somewhere along the way. I wish I had the time to do some troubleshooting... 😭

I see. Thanks for the help, however I think I'll skip Wayland for now. KDE-x11 works satisfactory after all :)

It's just a bit annoying to fail :/

Out of curiosity, are you using linprocfs instead of procfs for /proc. as shown in that link? Does everybody, and it's just me that's late to the party?

It's just a 'duh' moment for me because I've always used freebsd procfs for that, which doesn't have the full features (or whatever they're called) as linprocfs does, and it makes sense since most software (DE's etc) that need proc are developed on linux anyway. I've just switched to it and it immediately fixed an issue that I'm curious what else I've been missing out on. Issue was a minor thing but still make me wonder.
(When running a wlroots session from terminal, the info/text it spits out before switching to the WM, does not start at the left edge of the monitor and looks like a mess with procfs. With linprocfs it does and looks clean)

Out of curiosity, are you using linprocfs instead of procfs for /proc. as shown in that link? Does everybody, and it's just me that's late to the party?

It's just a 'duh' moment for me because I've always used freebsd procfs for that, which doesn't have the full features (or whatever they're called) as linprocfs does, and it makes sense since most software (DE's etc) that need proc are developed on linux anyway. I've just switched to it and it immediately fixed an issue that I'm curious what else I've been missing out on. Issue was a minor thing but still make me wonder.
(When running a wlroots session from terminal, the info/text it spits out before switching to the WM, does not start at the left edge of the monitor and looks like a mess with procfs. With linprocfs it does and looks clean)
I've actually been using linprocfs in /etc/fstab... as per that link. It doesn't always work for me. And the Handbook seems like a WIP on that topic.

Well I've uninstalled kde5 (so haven't checked), but maybe just give it a try on a new user account, just to eliminate anything affecting it in your home folder. Probably nothing, but it is something I tend to try, and easy to do.

Back