1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

From the ports-announce mailing list:

Full 250-line message here

2. achix

achix New Member

Sounds good. Also some mechanism/hooks to peculiar upgrade situations would be nice to model. There must be such a mechanism if source compilation continues to be the main way of doing it.

3. andyzammy

andyzammy New Member

It sounds as though /usr/src/UPDATING is still going to be part of the ports implementation. I'm only just beginning to get a hang of using the ports system (with respect to upgrading - initial installs have been fine), so I haven't seen a really deep UPDATING entry, but the one's I've seen so far are along the lines of "X is depricated so uninstall X and use Y from now on", or "X has been split up into Y and Z so install and recompile -R and -r dependencies".
    These types of workarounds look like they could be automated. Is there any reason why that isn't happening? I did a quick search on UPDATING documentation but couldn't really find any, if anybody has any links to shed light on it that would be great too.

Also, could someone post a complex UPDATING entry? That would probably show me.

4. piggy

piggy New Member

I agree, and I add: we don't need the same old third party, command line tool again.

All this situation it is simply to solve like I said before: just FreeBSD Foundation have to invest on a binary upgrade server updated in the same time with the ports code collection and build a simple tool to use that server. Graphical is better, text is ok too.

So I'm totally disinterested in that new third party project called pkgng and I haven't want to try it.

5. avilla@

avilla@ New Member Developer

This is not a third party application... It will completely replace pkg_add(1).

6. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

piggy: pkgng is *exactly* what you are asking for. If you would take your head out of the sand for 10 seconds, you would notice that. Everything you have been screaming repeatedly over and over again about ... is being done in pkgng. With the sole exception of being graphical.

But, I guess you just want to rant and rave over and over again about the same point, instead of actually investigating possible solutions and getting things done.

7. aragon

aragon New Member

Bombdiggity I can't wait to test this. I have first hand experience (read: pain) with the brokenness of pkg_install. :p

8. piggy

piggy New Member

Ok Phoenix, I will try it as fast as I have some spare time and a machine to experiment with.

9. aragon

aragon New Member

10. da1

da1 Member

Really looking forward to seeing that one.

11. gkontos

gkontos Member

It is really very good in action. I did some tests on a old desktop that I have. Setting up x11/xorg-minimal was a matter of a few minutes. The only problem is that I have found only 2 repositories which have vey old packages.

12. phoenix

The database backend side of things work really well.

The patch to portmaster to make it use the pkgng database works really well.

Unfortunately, there's no i386 package repo available anywhere, so that's as far as I've been able to test. For now, I'll continue to use pkg_upgrade (from sysutils/bsdadminscripts). It's not perfect (and slow), but at least it works with the existing packages.

Definitely a lot of potential in pkgng!!

13. pkubaj

pkubaj Member

There's beta 2 already. But I'm not sure, but I think there's a bug in a patch for portmaster. Having patched it, it still wanted to upgrade the ports according to what pkg_version shows. I read through the patch and ran
    Code:
    export use_pkgng=1
    which made portmaster run as it should. That's why I think that there should be some if that would set the value of use_pkgng.

14. phoenix

You have to add
    Code:
    use_pkgng=yes
    into /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc (or your personal .portmasterrc) file.

15. jb_fvwm2

jb_fvwm2 Member

Beta3 is already here. I would run
    Code:
     portmaster check-depends && pkgdb -F --omit-check 
    first if convenient. (Less errors running the following code box)...(BTW Found one port which had to be removed temporarily for )
    Code:
     pkg2ng 
    ( to run to completion. ) (Using unpatched portmaster so far... not a lot of time to test.)
    Also,
    Code:
     script -a pkg2ng.log pkg2ng 
    found many conflicts... such as weblint; p5-HTML-Lint etc etc ("they install into the same place" a file)

16. phoenix

pkgdb is part of ports-mgmt/portupgrade. If you're using portmaster, why would you have portupgrade installed? ;)

17. jb_fvwm2

jb_fvwm2 Member

To keep
    Code:
    pkgdb -F --omit-check
    around... unsure of its exact replacement with other tools... (It informs of stuff I've accidentally desinstalled, for instance.)

18. pkubaj

pkubaj Member

What about # portmaster --check-depends ?

19. jb_fvwm2

jb_fvwm2 Member

It works similarly, maybe could serve as a replacement ( I run it with the "-y" parameter).

20. webugz

webugz New Member

21. DemoDoG

DemoDoG Member

Wow is this for real? :)

22. renice

renice New Member

23. webugz

webugz New Member

Thanks! I missed that.

24. DutchDaemon

DutchDaemon Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

25. DemoDoG

DemoDoG Member

Does it work good enough so that I could install Xorg and a small window manager with pkgng and get the same versions as I get from ports?