PC Engines winding up

Why do people say the APU2 has ECC anyway? It's labeled optional (why would you not?) and the chips I see installed are H5TQ4G63AFR-PBC and those don't support ECC.

Have many ARM based systems running FreeBSD.

Conclusion:

POOR:
FreeBSD and Armbian GNU-Linux were great

But unnecessary

Rather buy an "Intel NUC" from the Celeron world.

Why do people say the APU2 has ECC anyway? It's labeled optional (why would you not?) and the chips I see installed are H5TQ4G63AFR-PBC and those don't support ECC.
I have both variants. ECC is labeled optional because it is indeed optional. You could request the ECC option when ordering. I am not sure if they manufactured ECC boards recently but that was the case when I bought mine 6 years ago.

I bought mine around 2017 to 2018 right from PCEngines awkward web store.
Cheap enough to make it worth it. Everytime I ordered I got extra accessories they were so cheap and usable on Arm.
SATA+Power Shorty 4Pin
Phison pSLC SD Cards.
mSATA cards

I do remember inquiring about ECC. It was because the website had some footnote like:
"ECC included but not supported yet."

Pascal and his crew always reply first thing GMT to emails. If the tech don't know he forwards to Pascal.
That is customer service.

Are there any other similar AMD boards? There is some supply of SoC platforms on Aliexpress, but they are all Intel based.

I am also looking for a replacement, need a fanless + ECC RAM device - in case someone is aware of such a product (besides those industrial PCs > 1500€), please post ;-)

I will recommend to give a try to one of Boingfire system, its fanless and price is great for small installations. Only difference I found was processor. its intel based but it includes many missing features of PCEngines. This machine is my next go to system. Its being 3 months its running in a harsh environment and still no complaints. I know its too early to make the point of view but so far so good. I customized this system with TPM2.0 as well and its RAM expansion is giving me peace of mind for future expansion where it supports upto 8GB. I got it from the following link, no push just a experience sharing. I am taking it as pc engines alternative.

also no ECC ram.

However, i have found some nice systems WITH ECC RAM, starting at roughly 800€: industrial firewalls FWA-1012VC-4CA1S, FWA-1112VC-4CA1S, FWA-1012VC-8CA1S from thomas-krenn.com - see https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/products/industrial-systems/firewall/ra3558-4-6.html + https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/products/industrial-systems/firewall/ra3558-4-6-f.html + https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/products/industrial-systems/firewall/ra3758-8-8.html

Yes, ECC Ram is not there, there are different opinions about ECC since RAMs quality improved a lot. I still think compare to machine you mentioned (thank you for that) BFN4K barebone machine cost me 259USD (approx: 243€). My challenge was switching customers from PCEngines to any other system without impacting the budget of my small to medium size customers, I didn't want to lose a customer because of inconsistent supply of hardware so I moved on.

A fanless thin client PC lacks ECC and multiple network interfaces, but some have a PCIe slot to add a low profile dual card. Things with fans must be hacked and silenced with a massive aluminum heatsink, perforated sheet metal case and natural convection air flow.

Yes, ECC Ram is not there, there are different opinions about ECC since RAMs quality improved a lot.
RAM quality has nothing to do with it. As the quantity of RAM in your computer grows, the chances of a bit flip caused by esoteric things like cosmic rays increases. The more time your computer spends on and working, the more likely it is one of these bit flips will lead to data corruption.

So yeah, not a big deal for that l333t gaming rig that's on for 8 hours a day max, and has nothing of importance on it. Big deal for servers that are up 24/7 and have valuable data on them.

Unfortunately, l33t gaming rigs are what's currently targeted by consumer memory and motherboard manufacturers, probably because they'll both pay a premium for "faster" RAM, and account for a large part of desktop (as in not laptop or rack-mount server) computers nowadays.

thanks for the link. However, choosing a CPU with ECC support and then building a system without ECC memory is just odd.

Yeah, no ECC, no Coreboot, nonexistent documentation:

Hardly a replacement.
I think you jump quickly in conclusion without checking. For us it was smooth and we had discussion with Rack Matrix technician for more information or customization.

ECC was not supplied anymore by PC Engines since many years. So,could you please give some example of low cost fanless motherboard with builtin ECC.
Coreboot is mandatory for a router ?
nonexistent documentation ?! I found it there https://store.rack-matrix.com/fr/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=103

Not hardly replacement because we use it since more 3 years and no problem.

Back