PC-BSD/FreeBSD 9.1 PKGNG package repository

shep posted this on the Daemon Forums. So here it is:
The PC-BSD Project is pleased to announce the details on how to access their new PKGNG repository, for PC-BSD and FreeBSD 9.1-Release systems.

This package repository is frequently updated, usually bi-weekly, with the latest and greatest from the FreeBSD ports tree. We will be using this repository for the PC-BSD rolling release edition, but it can also be used anywhere else you need packages on a PC-BSD or FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE system. This can include FreeBSD, TrueOS, PC-BSD, Jails and more. Getting setup to use this new repository is easy, and only requires minimal configuration. For detailed instructions, take a look at the step-by-step directions on the PC-BSD wiki.
The repository seems to have packages for all the applications I use. The package versions match what can be seen on Fresh Ports or the ports tree.

This gave me the incentive to finally install PKGNG, which I'd been avoiding. I've installed everything from ports, but it's good to have a working repository of compatible binaries as a backup.

Every time someone asks about FreeBSD's packages on Freenode's #freebsd channel, I mention that page. Usually some angry person tells me that FreeBSD is not PCBSD, and noone cares about packages anyway. The was-to-be FreeBSD user normally then leaves in dismay.

Good move publicising the availability of this repository :)

I'm having trouble understanding what the difference is between using pkg_add or "regular" PKGNG versus PKGNG + PC-BSD repository:

Is it PC-BSD repository simply updated more frequently? Does it install self-contained applications like "pbi_manager"?

pkg_add(1) is the old package format. PKGNG is the new package format, incompatible with the old. There are separate repositories for both, although the security problem has delayed new packages being built in either format.

Anyone can build a bunch of packages in either format and make them available. The PCBSD packages are just that, a set of updated pkgng packages.

PBI is PC-BSD's "fat" package format, where a package includes some or all of the dependencies. So it avoids dependency problems by stuffing the dependencies in with the application, at the cost of using up more disk space.

So will there be any advantage of using the PC-BSD repo after the new PKGNG repo has been brought up to date? Is the PC-BSD repo simply going to be updated more frequently?

Be aware that the PKGNG repos may not be updated that often because they will be on beta status for FreeBSD 9 and that won't change probably ever. PKGNG will be the default package manager for FreeBSD 10 and the official packages for that release will be PKGNG but for FreeBSD 9 it won't be made the default.

kpa said:
Be aware that the PKGNG repos may not be updated that often because they will be on beta status for FreeBSD 9 and that won't change probably ever. PKGNG will be the default package manager for FreeBSD 10 and the official packages for that release will be PKGNG but for FreeBSD 9 it won't be made the default.

9.1-RELEASE was supposed to be the last RELEASE with pkg_* tools as default. 8.4-RELEASE was already supposed to have pkgng as default, although it didn't seem to happen. We'll see about 9.2-RELEASE.
See https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng/CharterAndRoadMap#Road_Map although it's outdated.

pkubaj said:
9.1-RELEASE was supposed to be the last RELEASE with pkg_* tools as default. 8.4-RELEASE was already supposed to have pkgng as default, although it didn't seem to happen. We'll see about 9.2-RELEASE.
See https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng/CharterAndRoadMap#Road_Map although it's outdated.

The road map has changed somewhat then, originally the intent was to keep the old pkg_* tools as the default in 8.X and 9.X lines. I'm not complaining, however the migration might not be a painless one for everyone using 8.X and 9.X.

Anything more complete than that?

Just checked and some of the heavy-weight packages firefox, openoffice, kde* seem missing from the PC-BSD repo. Any other option than that? It just sucks having to do a full upgrade and having your boss over your shoulder with unbelievable demands.

Where are you looking?

I've installed KDE4, Firefox, and OpenOffice from the PC-BSD pkgng repository. It's what my desktop/server is running at home.

In fact, if you look here, you'll find two versions of Firefox listed, Apache OpenOffice 3.4, and KDE 4.10.3.

achix said:
Just checked and some of the heavy-weight packages firefox, openoffice, kde* seem missing from the PC-BSD repo.
As @phoenix said, KDE and Firefox (multiple versions) are available.

I couldn't find OpenOffice though. But there's always LibreOffice (version 4.0.3).

Last edited by a moderator:
phoenix said:
Where are you looking?

I've installed KDE4, Firefox, and OpenOffice from the PC-BSD pkgng repository. It's what my desktop/server is running at home.

In fact, if you look here, you'll find two versions of Firefox listed, Apache OpenOffice 3.4, and KDE 4.10.3.

Thanks, it seems I got it set up and running. However I was looking at the obvious directories (www, editors, x11, etc...), where the amount of packages is small. If we sum the numbers of packages in the individual categories (directories) I doubt it will match a tiny fraction of what's available in "All". Any clues to why this is so?

Just an update, just finished building my workstation: have to say, this has been the most impressive moment I had with FreeBSD. I am almost speechless. Now an additional question. Does anyone knows of a pkg repo continuously built from the ports, a la old -STABLE packages?

phoenix said:
The PC-BSD repo is rebuilt weekly.

Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be true, at least not for 9.1-RELEASE. I have www/chromium built from ports
Code:
# pkg info | grep chromium
chromium-29.0.1547.65          Mostly BSD-licensed web browser based on WebKit and Gtk+
When trying to switch to PC-BSD pkgng repository on 9.1-RELEASE, the version would be downgraded to 28.0.1500.95 which is at least five weeks old:
Code:
# pkg install -f chromium
[...]
	Downgrading chromium: 29.0.1547.65 -> 28.0.1500.95

I wonder why they dropped support for the i386 architecture. To this day, there are still many people using it. Too bad :(

marwis said:
Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be true
I've noticed the same with FreeBSD. For the past few weeks I've been checking the STABLE package repository and it seems most packages are at least a month old.

Perhaps it's because of the impending release of FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.2. Just a guess.

I was using the PC-BSD repo to keep all my installed applications up to date it was working fine. But they no longer support 32bit and I haven't been able to upgrade.

Can somebody please suggest what can I do to upgrade all my applications? I will appreciate it. I have been using # portsnap fetch and # portsnap update but that does nothing to the installed application only update the list of ports from the tree.

I know there are newer versions of Firefox, Thunderbird and VLC than those I am using

Thank you I will appreciate it.

Back