Packages download speed is ultra slow ! 00's slow ! I could actually compile from source these packages and still would be installed faster.

Packages download speed is ultra slow ! 00's slow ! I could actually compile from source these packages and still many of them would be installed faster.
I live in Greece and pkg download speed is awful.

The server selected for you using geolocation based on your IP address could be wrong. Open http://pkg.freebsd.org in browser, check "Other mirrors" at the bottom of the page, and try specifying the mirror explicitly in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf instead of pkg.freebsd.org, some of those could be faster for you.

The server selected for you using geolocation based on your IP address could be wrong. Open http://pkg.freebsd.org in browser, check "Other mirrors" at the bottom of the page, and try specifying the mirror explicitly in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf instead of pkg.freebsd.org, some of those could be faster for you.
i have tried some but they surely aren't any faster

You couldn't write anything more stupid really !
We are talking about lower than 1Mbps speeds i have 60mpbs true speed with my connection
Yeah, and I have a 435 KB/sec download speed while on West Coast US, and I have no complaints... 🤷‍♂️ even Skype and Zoom work acceptably for me.

Code:
[1/4] Fetching vim-9.0.1627.pkg: 100%    9 MiB   3.0MB/s    00:03
[2/4] Fetching python39-3.9.17.pkg: 100%   19 MiB   9.7MB/s    00:02
[3/4] Fetching icu-73.2,1.pkg: 100%   13 MiB   3.3MB/s    00:04
[4/4] Fetching libX11-1.8.6,1.pkg: 100%    2 MiB   1.8MB/s    00:01

I think this is ok :D

P.S. I think this is from "This is pkg0.fra.FreeBSD.org - a European mirror for FreeBSD downloads."

Code:
[1/4] Fetching vim-9.0.1627.pkg: 100%    9 MiB   3.0MB/s    00:03
[2/4] Fetching python39-3.9.17.pkg: 100%   19 MiB   9.7MB/s    00:02
[3/4] Fetching icu-73.2,1.pkg: 100%   13 MiB   3.3MB/s    00:04
[4/4] Fetching libX11-1.8.6,1.pkg: 100%    2 MiB   1.8MB/s    00:01

I think this is ok :D

P.S. I think this is from "This is pkg0.fra.FreeBSD.org - a European mirror for FreeBSD downloads."
Makes me envious.

I too have suffered extremely slow downloads accessing FreeBSD repositories from Austraila.

From a rural 4G (LTE) cellular mobile Internet connection, I get a variable 20 to 30 Mbits/sec, benchmarked to (just) outside my service provider's network. I used to use 3G and got a reliable 800 KB/sec. I was surprised at how much better 4G is. "Expert opinion" was that LTE didn't work well at distance. An external antenna on a 6.5 m mast is required for both. I'm 11 km from the cell phone tower.

But sometimes the FreeBSD "pkg upgrade" runs at 100 to 200 KB/sec.

For me, using ports-mgmt/fastest_pkg is quite routine, and it certainly helps to configure it optimally, which today (and usually) is Tokyo: Fastest: pkg0.bbt.freebsd.org: 1.7 MB/s.

I don't know where the congestion is when package upgrades run slow. It's certainly outside my service provider's network.

I have enabled ipv6 and i think its a lot better , of course it might be related to how many users are downloading the same time.

Oh right. 00's speeds weren't too bad. That was dual ISDN kind of stuff.

So I guess, nothing to see here? All is well?
I tried to enable ipv6 and seems like its better.
I think there is no problem but a server upgrade would be fine anyway.

Back