OpenGL and GTK2

I am about to get started on a small project using OpenGL and GTK2. I hope to be able to do this on FreeBSD. I managed to have a GLUT sample program (spinning triangle) running on my FreeBSD virtual machine within minutes. However, my project involves a more involved UI and I will not be able to rely on GLUT.

I am looking for a simple sample which demonstrates rendering OpenGL output on a GTK window. Looking forward to your help.

How involved does your GUI need to be?

I have coded a fairly large pure opengl widget set for my university dissertation and it only relies on glut. Widgets include:-

Window
Panel
Button
CheckBox
ListBox
MenuBar
PictureBox

Limitations include:-

C++ only
no documentation

If you want I could post a copy.

I contribute towards an open source Gtk app that uses OpenGL for its rendering. It uses GtkGlExt. GtkGlExt comes with simple examples that show you how it's done. Works well.

kpedersen said:
How involved does your GUI need to be?

I have coded a fairly large pure opengl widget set for my university dissertation and it only relies on glut. Widgets include:-

Window
Panel
Button
CheckBox
ListBox
MenuBar
PictureBox

Limitations include:-

C++ only
no documentation

If you want I could post a copy.

I'm looking for toolbars, menubar and a command line window (similar to autocad). I'd appreciate it if you could share some code. Thanks.

rambetter said:
I contribute towards an open source Gtk app that uses OpenGL for its rendering. It uses GtkGlExt. GtkGlExt comes with simple examples that show you how it's done. Works well.

Thanks. I'll have a look at this. I was expecting something simple along the lines of the GLUT sample.

Thanks for all your replies. I was under the impression that one could somehow specify a GTK2 widget for OpenGL to use as a rendering window. I was thinking this was possible without using third party libraries.

agnel_kurian said:
Thanks for all your replies. I was under the impression that one could somehow specify a GTK2 widget for OpenGL to use as a rendering window. I was thinking this was possible without using third party libraries.

quote:
Good programmers code, great - reuse

agnel_kurian said:

That is possible, how ever it involves deep understanding of GTK+ subsystem.

Back