Nvidia driver package for FreeBSD 5

Hello,

I'm unable to google out a download link for the nvidia official drivers contemporary to FreeBSD 5.5. The last built nvidia-settings package for that version is dated 2006-Mar-05.

Anyone got that package stashed somewhere?

zirias@ Not sure we're talking about the same thing. He wants to download the driver from the nvidia site. I was always told not to do that because they aren't reliable because some settings need to be adjusted and to only trust the port from FreeBSD.

I tried this once and it failed but that was decades ago.

Sure you shouldn't. You also shouldn't run ancient versions of FreeBSD. So, this seems to be some experimentation for whatever reason. :-/

I was told LLMs are the future and I'm trying to train llama. On 4chan they told me best GPU for this is RIVA TNT2.

By the way, you shouldn't as an user do the nvidia manual installation if you don't know what you're doing.

The version that runs TNT2, 1.0-6113 compiles without any issues. Interestingly it's compiled wno-mmx which I'll look into because I paid real good money to have MMX 166 processor for my neural networks.

It smells of troll here. You ask 4chan for advice and listen to it???

It smells of troll here. You ask 4chan for advice and listen to it???

It's a joke.

Context here is using a period-close *nix on vintage PC of Pentium 1/2 age. For retro reasons. A lot of people collect old hardware and are mainly using Microsoft Windows to natively run old stuff, but some people were wondering whether some Linux can be installed so old hardware can be repurposed, thin enough to work in 64MB RAM, but still modern enough to have a working package manager. Ofc I wanted to see whether FreeBSD can fill the role.

So you can install FreeBSD 5 and point it to archival FTP server and still use old pkg-tools normally.

This is quite cool because you get to run old kernel with old drivers for old hardware but still get to use official package infrastructure. The main task people wanted to know is whether their storage devices will work, old SCSI controllers, ISA cards and so on. Of course it works on FreeBSD.

Another great detail, which may not be important for new or casual BSD user, is the similarity between 5 and 14. No Linux will ever achieve that kind of "backward compatibility", not in API/ABI sense but workflow sense, the tools the configurations, it's mostly the same.

So to sum up the story, most of people buy these vintage of computers for multimedia reasons, e.g. games. I wanted to see how nvidia driver works and how sound blaster drivers work and are you able to run Quake out of the box.

The answer is yes, hardware/drivers work. Quake in itself, at least the engines available in ports, won't be very happy with ~25-40 MB of available RAM and as far as drivers are concerned, Riva TNT2 is about 10 times more slower than Geforce 2 MX.

Back