Solved ntpd and some ports not starting after upgrade to 11.1

Hi,

after upgrading from 11.0 to 11.1, ntpd fails to start at boot:
ntpd [447]: start_blocking_thread: pthread_create() -> Resource temporarily unavailable

chrome fails to start with "Illegal instruction"

vlc fails to start with "core playlist error: cannot spawn playlist thread"

I ran pkg-static upgrade -f, installed compat11x-amd64 and compat10x-amd64 but that didn't help either.

If I start the system with the old kernel, everything works as expected.

Should I just rebuild a 11.1 kernel? Any suggestions?

after upgrading from 11.0 to 11.1, ntpd fails to start at boot:
ntpd [447]: start_blocking_thread: pthread_create() -> Resource temporarily unavailable
[etc.]
How did you get to 11.1 from 11.0? Major versions are supposed to maintain stable interfaces (that's what "STABLE" means), so things should "just work" when going to a newer kernel + world (but you should keep your ports and any local executables up-to-date anyway).
If I start the system with the old kernel, everything works as expected.

Should I just rebuild a 11.1 kernel? Any suggestions?
Are these custom kernels or the ones "out of the box"?

... Major versions are supposed to maintain stable interfaces (that's what "STABLE" means), so things should "just work" when going to a newer kernel + world ...

In the course of the present upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 there was an unexpected message after the second freebsd-update install -- that one after the first reboot -- telling that all 3rd party software, namely ports, etc. need to be reinstalled. Perhaps some people did not pay sufficient attention to this.

I upgraded 5 machines, and in all cases, I made sure that the upgrade startet from a 11.0-GENERIC kernel, since FreeBSD would refuse to update a custom one. I didn't even try otherwise, but simply reinstalled immediately all ports and packages and any other 4rth party software, as was requested, and after the third freebsd-update install everything is running well.

johnd, in your case, for any reason the kernel does not match world, which means at least one of both was not updated properly. Did you modify anything in the file /etc/freebsd-update.conf. You want to check that src, world and kernel are in the list of Components.

In theory, you could fetch the world and the kernel from the FreeBSD ftp server, and then install both manually:
$ fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/11.1-RELEASE/world.txz $ fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/11.1-RELEASE/kernel.txz
Then as user root:
# mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.back
# tar -C / -xzf kernel.txz

Replacing the kernel with the above sequence is harmless, I did this several times in the past. Replacing world is more involved. You would need to take special care for your settings in /etc and everything in /var, and I won't give a simple dangerous command here.

In the course of the present upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 there was an unexpected message after the second freebsd-update install -- that one after the first reboot -- telling that all 3rd party software, namely ports, etc. need to be reinstalled. Perhaps some people did not pay sufficient attention to this.
That is either a bug in freebsd-update or an oversight by Release Engineering (letting an ABI/KBI interface change on the same major version). I suspect the former, as the *BI have been quite stable - no only do most binaries compiled on older versions work (as expected, as long as the appropriate misc/compatX port(s) are installed), but I've run a large number of binaries compiled on 11.1 on 11.0 and even 10.3 (although this is completely unsupported). Further, my systems arrived at 11.1 from 11.0 via incremental updates as 11-STABLE received commits. While kernel+world have been rebuilt many times during this period, ports were only rebuilt if a newer version of the port showed up in the ports tree.
johnd, in your case, for any reason the kernel does not match world, which means at least one of both was not updated properly. Did you modify anything in the file /etc/freebsd-update.conf. You want to check that src, world and kernel are in the list of Components.
When it first came out, I decided not to use freebsd-update, mostly because my systems tracked STABLE and thus did not represent a known release (required, understandably, by freebsd-update). I also had some misgivings about both the design and implementation of freebsd-update*

* As an example, freebsd-update appears to use a "I know this file changed between where the user is starting from and where he wants to end up" instead of a "this is a list of checksums of all system files where the user is starting from and where he wants to end up, and if I find anything that doesn't match either of those checksums, it is something I don't know how to handle and I need to warn the user about it".

How did you get to 11.1 from 11.0?
I checked out the source via svn and did the usual procedure described in the handbook (buildworld, buildkernel, ...). As far as I remember, there were no errors or other unusual behaviour during this procedure.

Are these custom kernels or the ones "out of the box"?
This is unmodified GENERIC.

Yesterday, I did the whole procedure again, this time with STABLE-11 and ended up with the same programs crashing with the same error messages (see my first post).

Again, if I boot the old 11.0 kernel, I can start ntpd, chrome and vlc, but of course since world an kernel are not in sync, other programms like /usr/bin/top are not working anymore.

This is a ThinkPad X201.

OK I think it got my problem fixed. All of this happend because of security.bsd.stack_guard_page=512. ntpd and other applications are starting and running smoothly now.

Thank you all for comments!

Back