Solved No graphics in VirtualBox

I can't start any machine in VBox. I get
The virtual machine 'xxx' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6.
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
But they work without GUI and show working preview images.
Connecting via vnc or rdp is not possible on FreeBSD?
Is this an x11 driver problem? I can run x11 only in
Option "AccelMethod" "none"
mode atm.

Linux and Windows. All possible settings.
vbox and kernel modules rebuilt and reloaded.
Same thing on a remote X server.

Connecting via vnc or rdp is not possible on FreeBSD?
If you mean if VirtualBox on FreeBSD supports VNC for its guests then yes, it does.

I don't have any FreeBSD host with GUI right now but according to your message those VMs are crashing (sigabrt), so something more is going on. What does /var/log/messages say? What does log for given VM say ? How are you starting VirtualBox on host ?

It almost seems like you want to start VirtualBox in remote X session and start VM there. If so maybe starting those VM headless from command line would suit you more (you can still use rdp/vnc to connect to guests).

😮‍💨 VirtualBox only has 3 possible options for graphics, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-screen ... IIRC, FreeBSD guests require VMSVGA.

If you want to use a remote X session to start VirtualBox, and then a VM from that, remote metal shouldn't have an issue.

One possibility that I see for startup errors is that your VM's may not have enough RAM or processing power. The way VM setups work, you take a fraction of the available metal, and allow the VM to use that. Letting the VM use too much of the metal is not great, either, cuz the host still needs some resources to manage the VM.

I tried all possible graphics settings.
Remote X was only a test.

The VBox.log has 2183 lines, starts on Feb.20 and doesn't change on "Update"

You can truncate the log (in sh > Vbox.log) and start again. Relevant lines would be close to the end of the file.

OK, OP, re-install the guest from scratch. It's just a VM. But maybe during the reinstall, don't mess with initial settings too much. Just RTFM, find out what the specific guest OS likes, and stick to adjusting only those settings, one at a time. 😏 It took me 4 or 5 tries before I got FreeBSD going in a VirtualBox VM.

astyle I read it as a problem on a host side (FreeBSD) with Linux/Windows guests. Possibly graphics driver problem on a host side. I don't know if you can actually run it on e.g. framebuffer ; right now I don't have X on FreeBSD to test it on.
But OP left us guessing on the HW setup too, so hard to say..

astyle I read it as a problem on a host side (FreeBSD) with Linux/Windows guests. Possibly graphics driver problem on a host side. I don't know if you can actually run it on e.g. framebuffer ; right now I don't have X on FreeBSD to test it on.
But OP left us guessing on the HW setup too, so hard to say..
If Xorg runs on FreeBSD host, and the Virtualbox management console can actually be installed and visible on the screen, then there's no problems on the metal side of things, and it all has to do with how OP has configured the guests. I'd know, I'm messing with Virtualbox these days, got a LOT of stuff running, and figured out where to look for problems. 🤷‍♂️

If Xorg runs on FreeBSD host, and the Virtualbox management console can actually be installed and visible on the screen, then there's no problems on the metal side of things
I would not discard problems on host side that easily; I don't agree with that statement. With management console nothing is happening really; the actual start of the VM could trigger problems on host side depending on its (vm) settings.

Still it would help if OP specifies the setup and output of the logs.

Back