nat in ipfw

Would like more information about nat ipfw. In the handbook I only found information about natd and not nat "native" ipfw. I would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of natd are. Just replaced a server Slackware/Linux for a server FreeBSD but I cannot configure the firewall "ipfw".

First I would like to configure nat. I recompiled the kernel with these settings:

Code:
options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=5
options		IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options		IPDIVERT
options		IPFIREWALL_NAT # Enable NAT
options		LIBALIAS # Needed for NAT

Use the PF is a good idea?

PF works well on FreeBSD? Like in OpenBSD?

ipfw does not have "native" nat. You can use natd or ng_nat and pass packets to them using divert. Or as option is libalias but i dont think it can be called "native"...
// I used it long time ago, but now i do nat with PF. Its easier to setup and far more powerful

Sure, no. Dont know will they work together at all.. Just describing for "just-nat" task you can be done in 10minutes =)
Do you have many rules in ipfw?

Ok then, before work you should make 'political' decision which firewall you will use.. Maybe its better to google about this/compare them..
// I would select PF, regardless i know ipfw better..

I tryed google but only got more confusing and preferred to ask here

I just need to do nat and filter ports

to enable PF just add that?

Code:
device pf
device pflog
device pfsync

need something else to enable the kernel?

Alt said:
ipfw does not have "native" nat. You can use natd or ng_nat and pass packets to them using divert. Or as option is libalias but i dont think it can be called "native"...

ipfw supports in-kernel NAT using the kernel version of libalias(3). The previous sentence was lifted from ipfw(8). Native / in-kernel, sounds 'local' enough to me.

douglasfim said:
mix IPFW and PF is good?

That is never a happy marriage, especially if you need to troubleshoot network problems. I'd say use PF. It's less 'entangled' than ipfw. A kernel module/option, and a config file, that's it.

PfSense does use both because ipfw is needed to implement the captive portal in pfSense, it never mixes them on same interface though.

Alt said:
ipfw does not have "native" nat.

Yes, it most certainly does have "native" nat. Read through the man page for ipfw(8) on a FreeBSD 8.0 or newer system (it's even available on older systems, but is supposed to be faster/more stable on 8.0+).

Almost anything you can do with natd, you can do with nat keywords in IPFW. There are a few limitations, but the tradeoff is much faster throughput/packet processing (ipfw nat packets never leave the kernel; natd packets are copied from the kernel to userland, mangled, then copied back into the kernel).

the PF need ALTQ to run?

what's missing configuration to work?

Code:
device pf
device pflog
device pfsync
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
options         ALTQ_NOPCC      # Required for SMP build

PF does not need ALTQ to run. You only need ALTQ if you want to use traffic priorisation/queueing. The fact that the pfctl command 'complains' about ALTQ is annoying, but not problematic.

Almost anything you can do with natd, you can do with nat keywords in IPFW. There are a few limitations, but the tradeoff is much faster throughput/packet processing (ipfw nat packets never leave the kernel; natd packets are copied from the kernel to userland, mangled, then copied back into the kernel).

Is there only to replace the divert natd ruleset shown in IPFW handbook with ipfw nat rules as shown on ipfw() man page?
I am trying to build a home gateway, using net/mpd5 that also has NAT.
Is it better to use IPFW in-kernel NAT?

Is there only to replace the divert natd ruleset shown in IPFW handbook with ipfw nat rules as shown on ipfw() man page?
I am trying to build a home gateway, using net/mpd5 that also has NAT.
Is it better to use IPFW in-kernel NAT?

I would say it depends on the workload. For average home use you won't see a big difference between the user-space natd(8) and the in-kernel NAT in terms of performance.

Back