Mutt with IMAP and imapfilter on FreeBSD

Two more tools you might find interesting or useful:

• offlineimap synchronizes remote imap with local maildirs. If you use mutt or something else doesn't matter, the maildir is compatible. And: You have ALL your mails (not just a cache) available offline.
  • sieve is a (afaik widely) supported language to specify mailing-filters. The difference to your approach is, that the server does the filtering. There is no need for a cronjob on your machine (and have it running all the time). On receiving a new mail and deploying it to your imap directory, the server applies the sieve filters you defined - so your laptop/desktop/handy/whatever sees the mails filtered whenever they contact the IMAP server.

My needs are a small niche. My office computer is left on. Server side changes are not an option. The only other access needed to the imap account is via webmail and a single mobile device, both of which required sorting.

I've never heard of claws, but know several sylpheed users. My needs were fulfilled with this configuration. Sorted imap account and a console client to pile into my usual screen session.

Back