Mutt / SMTP

Dear all,

I had the crazy idea to use mutt under Mac OS X 10.6.7. I install mutt-devel through the macports version 1.5.21 with [cmd=]/opt/local/bin/port install mutt-devel +sasl +smtp +gdbm +imap +ssl[/cmd]

I am running my own email server with OpenBSD 4.8 / Postfix / Imap / STARTTLS ...

Mutt is working well, except to send emails. I try with :

- smtp_url
- set sendmail

Code:
set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/msmtp --host=eyes.maelenn.org -f [email]some@address[/email]

set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/msmtp"

set smtp_url="smtp://tst@maelenn.org@eyes.maelenn.org:587/"
set smtp_pass="pass"

=> msmtp is working well ... If I try to make it running alone ...

Code:
echo "teste smtp ligne de commande" | /usr/local/bin/msmtp -a toto [email]moi@yahoo.fr[/email]

=> echo "test" |/sw/bin/mutt -s "etste mail" [email]moi@yahoo.fr[/email]
Connexion SSL utilisant TLSv1/SSLv3 (DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA)
What ever the config is (set sendmail or smtp_url) I am able to send emails if I am using this two config ...

It seems that mutt doesn't take into consideration all of my .muttrc ...

Any ideas?

Thanks for your support.

This question is probably better suited for a mutt list, but...

Does the line below work?

Code:
set smtp_url="smtp://tst\@maelenn.org@eyes.maelenn.org:587/"

Note the '\' before the '@'.

I don't understand very well, but the syntax isn't:
Code:
smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]
?
Why do you talk about "\" ?
Thanks.

That's called 'escaping', very essential in shell scripts and sometimes configuration files. Look it up. And use proper formatting in your posts.

jrm said:
Code:
set smtp_url="smtp://tst\@maelenn.org@eyes.maelenn.org:587/"

Note the '\' before the '@'.

In your muttrc the first @ in the smtp_url has to be passed as a url escape sequence. So, your smtp_url declaration would be:

Code:
set smtp_url='smtps://tst[B][color="Red"]%40[/color][/B]maelenn.org@eyes.maelenn.org:587'

Though, I haven't tried the escape personally, I guess I could check it, but my solution comes from the mutt documentation I've been reading through today.

Back