Many Kodi apps not working on FreeBSD - Python error?

I am using FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64 with the latest quarterly packages, but many Kodi apps, including Pluto TV do not work anymore for over a year now, as far as I remember. I am attaching the full kodi.log and info of my installed packages, but I think the problem is here (extracted from the bottom of the kodi.log), it seems to have something to do with python:

Code:
2024-02-20 20:34:54.865 T:106707   error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>
                                                   Error Contents: No module named '_sqlite3'
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/werner/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.plutotv/default.py", line 23, in <module>
                                                       from resources.lib import plutotv
                                                     File "/home/werner/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.plutotv/resources/lib/plutotv.py", line 24, in <module>
                                                       from simplecache   import SimpleCache, use_cache
                                                     File "/home/werner/.kodi/addons/script.module.simplecache/lib/simplecache.py", line 13, in <module>
                                                       import sqlite3
                                                     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/sqlite3/__init__.py", line 57, in <module>
                                                       from sqlite3.dbapi2 import *
                                                     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/sqlite3/dbapi2.py", line 27, in <module>
                                                       from _sqlite3 import *
                                                   ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_sqlite3'
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

2024-02-20 20:34:54.905 T:106706   error <general>: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.plutotv/
2024-02-20 20:34:54.917 T:104483   error <general>: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.plutotv/) failed

So is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• pkg_info.txt
    85.2 KB · Views: 30
  • kodi.log.txt
    127.1 KB · Views: 33
Because it's not a dependency of kodi, it's a dependency of the plugin you installed.
Obviously an add-on or plugin, be it in the official add-on repository or not, cannot install a dependency at OS-level. Being that said, I do not concur in defining it as a "dependency of the plugin". This also raises the question, why there was no such problem in the past with any of those add-ons and suddenly at some point, probably after a pkg upgrade, there is.

Being that said, I do not concur in defining it as a "dependency of the plugin".
So, what you're suggesting is adding every requirement from every available plugin as a dependency of Kodi? Even if none of them are required for Kodi itself? Or just the requirements for plugins you happen to use?

What is this? While somebody is even suggesting to file a PR for that reason, someone else wants to start a discussion about hypothetical almost innumerable plugins that would require special dependencies each? I can only say that much: For the last few years that I have been using kodi, after doing the pkg install kodi, I could install any video addon, either from the official repository as well as from others and they would just work. This should be the expected behavior for any end user. So if at some point suddenly many of the commonly used video addons do not work anymore for the same reason (because of missing py39-sqlite3 on FreeBSD, it should be considered a dependency, when considering that if you install kodi on other platforms, like different Linux distros, on all of them the same plugins also work out of the box.

I suggested a PR without knowing it wasn't a dependency.

If the video addons quit working, it wouldn't be because py39-sqlite3 was missing because you had to install it to get them to work in the first place. FreeBSD does not install unnecessary cruft just to have it there in case you might need it. You may never need it.

Yes, I have contacted him explaining the problem. He also suggested installing databases/py-sqlite3 as vg did and asked me to report back. So good thing!

Back