make install reboots my virtual machine

Hi,

While installing ports, I attempted to install two ports, one after the other, in one command and I "broke" something

Code:
cd /usr/ports/tectproc/rasqal/ && make install clean \
? /usr/ports/tectproc/redland/ && make install clean

The moment I clicked enter to jump to the second line, a question marked appeared....I then typed out the rest of the comment to install the next port.

I got the options dialog window for the rasqal installation, but the moment I clicked enter, my virtual machine reboots. It has done so for any port, since my poor attempt at trying to be clever

any suggestions?

Backslash just continues the line; the question mark means the line hasn't been finished. In your example, the second line is missing the cd command. Instead of changing to the redland directory, it will try to execute the directory as a program and fail. Then 'make install clean' will be executed in the same directory as the first.

Offhand, I can't think of how this would break anything. That may be a different problem.

In the future, do this with make(1)'s -C (change directory) option:
# make -C /usr/ports/textproc/rasqal/ install clean
# make -C /usr/ports/textproc/redland install clean

Thanks for the clarity

I'm sorry, because I was overly eager to find a solution to this problem....I forgot to type the cd for the second line when creating the thread.

On the virtual machine, I did have cd on each line, for each port installation command. So my error should not have "broken" anything, so now I'm stumped to why the sudden problem. Prior to installing of those two ports, I was able to install raptor2 port, with make install clean

Then I attempted to be clever with the next two ports, and here I am.

Not sure if the following will help to finding a solution, but I was installing kde4 package ..... but by the time it completed, it listed a few dependent packages that were not found. So I'm attempting to install each port individually

yes.

I tried installing with the options enabled and disabled in the config dialog window, but the virtual machine reboots each time I click enter

Have you tried to install a different port? In other words, does it crash only on that port, or on all of them?

If it only crashes when trying to build rasqal, save a copy of the config options.
# cp /var/db/ports/rasqal/options /tmp

Remove the config.
# make -C /usr/ports/textproc/rasqal rmconfig

That last command is equivalent to
# cd /usr/ports/textproc/rasqal && make rmconfig

That removes the options file.

Still, a corrupted config file should not cause the machine to crash.

Back