Linux - where does all that mount rage come from?

They seem to be adding more and more virtual filesystems. I wonder why..

Someone needs more inroads into the kernel space, it seems. You have heard about the last /proc/<pid>/mem desaster?

<conspiracy theory>
But soon we will see the one virtual file system to end all this.
Each & every component of the freedesktop ecosystem will depend on it.
And it will be written by Lennard.
</theory>

At least linux mounting with udev does work. Whereas automount in FreeBSD is just so unreliable. FreeBSD dmesg just throws all sorts of errors while automounting.

Errors in dmesg output mean that the device is not recognized by the kernel, it's a different problem that has to be solved first to get automount working.

The devices are recognized fine by the kernel. I mean the hal errors while automounting. Its output is present in dmesg too.

If you had tried automounting in gnome or even with KDE (sometimes) you would understand what issues you have with FreeBSD 9.0.

Edit:
I shall post messages after sometime, at office right now.

LateNiteTV said:
I believe the problems are due to the overuse of linuxisms in GNOME and KDE.
Expecting to automount after proper and full configuring the system is normal. You don't have to paint linuxisms for that.

vermaden said:
This is output of mount on CentOS 6.2 system, only a single / partition, no LVM: http://paste2.org/p/1884370

I alredy consider these a mess, but ...

This is output of mount on Fedora 16 system, also only a single / partition, no LVM: http://paste2.org/p/1884361

If this is how Fedora looks today, then say hello to RHEL 7.0 ;)

What is the matter of You Linux people?
Looked at the Fedora paste and well...in the Linux that my employer develops there are 4 times as many stock. And the number grows a lot when admins use the GUI to configure it to do some real work.
ADDED: I wouldn't be surprised to see 1000 mounts in a big system.

6 virtual filesystems ... Can't even put /usr/ on a separate filesytem

14032185.jpg

Fedora 16

Code:
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,seclabel)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,seclabel,size=2015112k,nr_inodes=503778,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,seclabel,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel)
/dev/mapper/vg_core2duo-lv_root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,seclabel,mode=755)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,seclabel,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=23,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,seclabel)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime,seclabel)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rootcontext=system_u:object_r:mnt_t:s0,seclabel,mode=755)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdc2 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg_core2duo-lv_home on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/gkontos/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

Just curious:
Does $ df handle only real mounts or all that sys cgroup dev devtmpfs etc stuff?

P.s. on some russian linux community there was a large lennart-based topic with some thoughts on Linux becoming huge monster with binary configuration file like a registry in windows, which will be mounted read-only on top of /etc with special etc_systemd_handler program for backwards compatibility and edited only with lennart-super-editor which could be used for only this file and nothing else.

Back