Linux distribution recommendation

What Linux distributions would you recommend that are closest in philosophy and ideals to FreeBSD? I'm looking for organization, stability, security, and reliability, with the smallest amount of closed-source components as possible (preferably none).

Thanks everyone :)

http://cathbard.com/canabix-assorted.html
canabix-stoners-lcd-1280.png

Also, check out Gentoo Linux which is pretty easy to install and has a package management system named Portage whose original design was based on FreeBSD ports. It's one of the most closely Linux distributions aligned to the BSD mentality.

As proof of the above, is worth to point to Gentoo/FreeBSD:
Gentoo/FreeBSD is a Unix-like operating system developed by Gentoo Linux developers in order to bring Gentoo Linux design, structure, and tools such as Portage and the Gentoo Linux base layout to the FreeBSD operating system.

Slackware and Arch Linux, probably.

I would vote for Slackware for 2 reasons:
  1. Slackware uses the BSD style init scripts - Arch now uses systemd.
  2. The OP also mentioned stability. Arch runs on the bleeding edge and things occasionally break.
If the OP was interested in keeping his/her finger on the pulse of the latest developments Arch would get the nod.

Neither Slackware nor Arch makes a big issue of closed source applications - for example firmware/MP3 just comes on the main installer. Debian makes a bigger issue of closed source in that you specifically have to enable "non-free".

shepper said:
If the OP was interested in keeping his/her finger on the pulse of the latest developments Arch would get the node

As a Slackware user I should mention here that Slackware -current is always up to date with the latest developments and pretty stable too.

Regards.

Well, it's not the most UNIX-like but my favorite Linux distribution would be Debian-unstable. You get bleeding-edge packages in the repositories and APT is probably the easiest and most reliable binary package management system I've ever come across. It is also not terribly hard to use for someone with little *nix experience.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations! I appreciate them.

I'll be researching them all. I'd prefer staying with FreeBSD, but only 10-CURRENT supports my WiFi, so I'll be back when 10 gets to STABLE.

For hardware issues, perhaps try either OpenBSD or NetBSD. They are probably closer to FreeBSD than any single Linux distribution and usually at least one of the three *BSDs will support your hardware.

As you asked for a Linux distribution that is closest to in ideals/philosophy to FreeBSD, there's absolutely no doubt that the distribution would be either Slackware or Debian.

Concerning Slackware, this similarity is exactly the reason why I (as Slackware user) like FreeBSD as well and keep trying to switch to it.

It's very clear that Slackware draws a lot of inspiration from FreeBSD: as mentioned above, the init process is closest to FreeBSD with just one directory for all the startup scripts. Arch and Gentoo are totally different here. Debian is also different, with its SysV runlevels.

Arch has a central config file like FreeBSD has, but this alone does not make for a lot of resemblance to FreeBSD.

Then the overall feel: When you install Slackware, it's almost like installing FreeBSD. Slackware is built around the KISS principle. No fuss. No fancy GUI config tools. Just some simple ncurses-based tools. But only a few. Naturally, FreeBSD is far more complex and heavy (in my view) than Slack, but this may just be because it is a BSD. Any BSD will feel heavier than a Linux distribution. It's hard to describe what I mean by "heavy". To me it's that feeling of an over-whelming complexity. Well, because it's Unix. Linux is simpler, hides more of complex layers. FreeBSD is vaster as you are (rightfully) expected to know your CLI. Linux does the GUI shift, every year a bit more. Which annoys me. At least, that is my impression. BSD is simple more awe-inspiring with all its UNIX heritage. But back to the question:

It's all for stability in Slack - both Gentoo and Arch are not. On the contrary. They believe in bleeding edge. As for Arch, this means that the system is broken by default. At least that's been my experience. Installed it twice, and always the famous PakMan package manager ****ed the system up. Debian of course is very stable, yes, but then Debian differs more from BSD than Slack in many other aspects.

On the other hand, concerning the process of how the system is built/maintained Debian is more similar to FreeBSD than Slackware. Both have a lot of manpower, a lot of policy. And democratic structures. This is part of philosophy, too. Whereas with Slack, manpower is limited, to put it mildly. How they manage to deliver so consistently and with that high level of quality is amazing, given that it is only Pat Volkerding and a bunch of guys. And Slack is not democratic and not open.

Gentoo is BSD-like with its Portage system. Slackware users and Arch users are used to work with build systems, too. In Slackware you have SlackBuilds, which let you compile a very simple tgz file. But the SB mechanism is extremely simple. You cannot easily tweak the build - apart from messing with the script. I have never working with Gentoo, but from a couple of reads, I can say, that Gentoo will be closest to FreeBSD, when it comes to ports. Naturally, as they borrowed the whole concept from FreeBSD.

Conclusion:

You wrote: "I'm looking for organization, stability, security, and reliability, with the smallest amount of closed-source components as possible (preferably none)."

I would NOT recommend Arch or Gentoo to you. Bleeding edge and stability just don't match, impossible. Reliable and stable means either Debian or Slackware.

Concerning security, I really cannot judge. I would guess that both are rather secure. Debian has its own security team. Slack has not, as they are simple not enough people.

You have more packages for Debian than for Slackware. A couple of times more. So if you want a lot of choice and want to make sure you only have FOSS, Debian would be right for you.

Still, I could imagine, that you will like Slackware the most, just because it is so small and simple. It tries hard to remain as close to the UNIX heritage as possible. This is nothing to be taken for granted in Linux. FreeBSD does that, too. More so. Well, try Slack, maybe you like it. I hope so :)

Another tact is to choose the operating system that best meets your purposes. The above recommendations are all made without a clearly defined goal by the OP. Are you building a desktop and if so what DE/WM? How much time can you invest building from source and more importantly maintaining your packages? Be aware that binary packages from FreeBSD-RELEASE/-STABLE are not always the latest stable versions.

You also mentioned a problem with your WiFi. Unless you are dealing with a laptop, and some laptops have replaceable WiFi modules, they are relatively cheap and not hard to change.

Also, if Debian Sid is getting some support, I would also suggest looking at OpenBSD. I have run OpenBSD current for months at a time with weekly updates and no problems. There are times when OpenBSD will provide hardware support for a particular piece of hardware earlier than FreeBSD - what WiFi card do you have and do you know how to see if it is supported in a particular BSD?

Thanks all, everyone has given some good suggestions.

@shepper: I'm working on a laptop (Asus K55n) with an AMD chipset, and I'm having problems with the AR9485 WiFi. Everything else seems to work, and it appears support for AR9485 isn't available until 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thought, though it seems overly complex, is to take some lightweight distribution, run it with a light desktop manager like dwm(), and then run your FreeBSD in VirtualBox. If not using a GUI on the FreeBSD virtual machine, then KVM might be a better choice than VirtualBox. In my experience, which is limited to a few distributions, KVM's graphics are, when compared to VirtualBox, somewhat choppy, and I often was unable to get sound to work, however, when used to run a server, it was lighter on resources than VirtualBox.

scottro said:
Just for fun, I tried OpenBSD 5.3 on my Zenbook, which has the same wireless card. It didn't see the card either.

A verbose dmesg output usually will show all of the hardware on a machine. Also, you may want to see if the device is recognized by NetBSD. Whether or not there are drivers available for said devices is another story.

I should try with NetBSD too, good idea, thank you. With OpenBSD, I did install it, but upon boot, it gave a kernel panic. I didn't even try to troubleshoot, as this was something done out of idle curiosity, and not something that I am, at present, willing to put too much work into doing. During installation, though, when it sought network devices, it didn't see the card. Afterwards, I booted once again, dropped into shell and ran ifconfig() to find that it didn't see the device.

scottro said:
With OpenBSD, I did install it, but upon boot, it gave a kernel panic. I didn't even try to troubleshoot, as this was something done out of idle curiosity, and not something that I am, at present, willing to put too much work into doing.
With OpenBSD, that's a problem :) It can work really well, but some effort is usually required to make it work in the first place.

Ok, and NetBSD (from USB) wouldn't even boot, so I think I'm giving up on this. If I am going to run a BSD on this Zenbook, I'll either work with CURRENT for a while or just use it with wired Ethernet.

Hi, it probably is, but, firstly, I didn't mean to hijack this thread--it had to do with someone suggesting the original poster consider OpenBSD as a possibility to stay with a BSD and still use the AR9485 card. So, as I have a Zenbook, which uses that card, I gave a quick try with OpenBSD, which didn't see the card. In addition, I installed it anyway but it wouldn't boot. So, please just consider it a passing comment in an effort to let the original poster know that AR9485 isn't supported out of the box in OpenBSD either.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate your suggestions, but it's not my thread, and not a major issue for me. :) (If this came out at all snarky, it's not meant to be, it's more that I feel I'm hogging someone else's thread.)

Back