ld-elf and libssl, install bricked after upgrade from 13.1 to 14.0-RELEASE?

Hi,

The title pretty says it all : I had a 13.0 install I had not open in a very long time, was able to upgrade to 13.1 with freebsd-update but not further. Then I went for 14.0-RELEASE directly since I was thinking of reinstalling from scratch anyway and 13.1 sounded close to 13.2.

Just now when I tried to use pkg to see which nvidia driver I had I got an error message from ld-elf-something about libssl-something.111, and of course I can't install libssl with pkg since any call to it fails.

Did I just brick that install? (it's a multiple boot computer so it is not a big deal if I did, but I am curious)

14.0 has a newer OpenSSL, your installed packages are still from 13.x and thus linked to the 'old' OpenSSL version. After a major version upgrade you must rebuild/reinstall all your installed ports/packages. You need to do this before the third and final freebsd-update install because that stage removes all the old libraries from the previous version.

Anyway, you can fix pkg(8) by forcing the bootstrap; pkg bootstrap -f. Then use pkg upgrade to reinstall all your installed packages.

It worked like a charm, many thanks :) Sorry about the late response, my cat got sick and I had to keep an eye on him so I kind of stayed away from my computers.

Back