Keyboard can't log in to gnome

After a long, painful process, I have managed to get FreeBSD and gnome2 installed from the ports tree. Now I can't get gnome to recognize my keyboard to accept my password at the gnome login screen. I have installed Xorg and enabled hald and dbus in my rc.conf file. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

I figured out that the keyboard works if I start gnome manually using only: [cmd=]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm onestart[/cmd] I tried deleting the line
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"
from my /etc/rc.conf file and now it works! I now have gnome and my wireless working on my machine. Almost there!

Unfortunately, I celebrated too soon. The problem has reappeared after installing the linux flashplugin. I can't figure out why that would break it. Something tells me it working was just a fluke. So any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Not sure what's going on here, but I moved the line

Code:
linux_enable="YES"

above the lines containing the dbus, hald, and gdm initializations and it's working again, for now.

Should be able to edit my posts any day now! But I thought I'd update and say I don't think that was it. The keyboard just works sometimes and doesn't work others. I guess I'll just be living with it for now.

The entries in rc.conf are just variable assignments. They control whether code is executed, not when.

Can you post your xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log? I have a feeling it's in there somewhere.

Back