Solved Just what do Thunderbird devs really do?

Hello again.

I am on my off-and-on second day of trying to get a newly installed Thunderbird-78.7.1 to recognize the saved blah.default folder holding all my old locally saved mail from the prior 78.3.1 install. The internet is full of posts like this, with answers along the lines of "Works for me.", "Try this, it might help.", "Maybe if you...", "Sometimes...", as well as apparently equally ineffective recipes from the Thunderbird site talking about C:\ paths.

I have used TB for a decade and once it's actually running and screwed down it seems to be pretty solid. That said, I have never upgraded without a struggle to get it to see my old saved blah.default and display it's contents as usable saved mails. This jump, which included a hop to the latest rust, has been the worst ever and still not solved. I've even dug up an idle disk and did a new spare install of 12.1 hoping to get back to the port state where my machine was when it borked, followed, admittedly, by my borking the backup BE. Mea culpa. (Rightous karma for my mocking those in Windows TB hell.)

I have the latest TB installed and it pulls in my gmail mail (pop, not just headers) perfectly. I could wipe it out and install it again without effort. But how do I get to that decade's worth of saved mail? Everything I'ved tried is ineffectual, even TB's instructions. The host has an NFS-served /home that's working perfectly so my position is that perms are correct if not even a little too open. I'd appreciate knowing any repeatable methodology to force TB to do what TB says it will do, and I promise, I'll never upgrade non-system software again. I'll also certainly listen if you've a different client that can properly display, organize, and print your ex-TB saved mail.

So much thanks,
s-a

Iff (and only if) Thunderbird saves the mail in the so-called maildir folders (what many mail user software does), you'll be able to do whatever you like with these folders & it's content, with whatever mail software you like, as long as it understands the maildir format. Install ports-mgmt/psearch and do psearch -c mail -s blabla. E.g. mail/evolution or deskutils/kmail are known to be very reliable & can access mail stored in maildir folders. To test, you can even mount the folders read-only or make a backup copy.

Sorry for my absence, there was some TV I wanted to watch.

The mail stored in one "folder" are saved in a single text file rather than one file for one email. That folder has ancillary files that are easily visible if one just looks at .thunderbird/ in a console. Likely pertaining to GUI display of mail. I imagine TB uses a database engine (sqlite?) to parse the file and there's software to render them as individual line items in the TB app window. I don't know what that makes them. Ha! Google says TB uses mbox.

Back